Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Been having a few issues lately after adding a few smart home devices to the wifi network. Keep getting the odd device inc my pc and phone kicked off the network randomly.

Wondering if the hub3 has reached it limit for number of devices connected to it? Think i have 17 in total at the moment inc all the smart devices etc.

Just bought a mesh wifi system TP-Link Deco M4 to move all the smart home devices onto it, would it be wise to run 2 separate networks or just copy the SSID from the hub3 router and run whatever i can on the 2.4ghz band and everything else on the 5ghz?

Associate
Seems VM appear to be more willing to play ball during their current "sale"
Managed to upgrade from 100Mb to 200Mb for only an extra £6pm
Could have jumped to 350mb for an extra £12pm (overkill for me)

Only took 5 mins hold time as well

Soldato
Seems VM appear to be more willing to play ball during their current "sale"
Managed to upgrade from 100Mb to 200Mb for only an extra £6pm
Could have jumped to 350mb for an extra £12pm (overkill for me)

Only took 5 mins hold time as well
I got this call recently too, im on the 200mb line and was offered the 350mb package for an extra £4 a month, wifey said no though... I find it abit of a ball ache when it comes to renewal however, they never want to give you the best price but been lucky enough to keep it around £39 a month including the tv and phoneline which i dont use...

Associate
I got this call recently too, im on the 200mb line and was offered the 350mb package for an extra £4 a month, wifey said no though... I find it abit of a ball ache when it comes to renewal however, they never want to give you the best price but been lucky enough to keep it around £39 a month including the tv and phoneline which i dont use...
Ooffftt that must have hurt for the £4 upgrade

In this case I contacted them (I'm only 5 months into a new 18 month contract)
The upgrade didn't extend the 18 months as well which was good

Can't complain paying £30pm 200Mb BB only, considering they wanted £42pm when I was OOC for 200Mb glad I downgraded to 100Mb at the time

Soldato
Ooffftt that must have hurt for the £4 upgrade

In this case I contacted them (I'm only 5 months into a new 18 month contract)
The upgrade didn't extend the 18 months as well which was good

Can't complain paying £30pm 200Mb BB only, considering they wanted £42pm when I was OOC for 200Mb glad I downgraded to 100Mb at the time
Yes it did... 350mb line for an extra £4... still can't understand why she said no lol. But what the hell not gonna argue with her.

Weird one, when i queried about getting rid of the tv package they said it would be more expensive. I understand them trying to sell packages to get more out of people but seriously i dont even have a tv licence anymore as we stream everything. Next renewal i will defo try and get rid of what we dont need and bring that price down...

Soldato
Yes it did... 350mb line for an extra £4... still can't understand why she said no lol. But what the hell not gonna argue with her.

Weird one, when i queried about getting rid of the tv package they said it would be more expensive. I understand them trying to sell packages to get more out of people but seriously i dont even have a tv licence anymore as we stream everything. Next renewal i will defo try and get rid of what we dont need and bring that price down...

That's not how VM operate, the more services you have, the more they can discount, if you take fewer, the price goes up.

Soldato
I pay for 500MB package which is usually 650MB connection speed, however recently I seem to be connecting more at 300MB... Any idea how I can figure out what might be causing the speed to drop

Soldato
I pay for 500MB package which is usually 650MB connection speed, however recently I seem to be connecting more at 300MB... Any idea how I can figure out what might be causing the speed to drop

VM over provision, but given the recently launched M600 only does 636Mbit, M500 hasn’t ever done 650Mbit. Now we’ve established that, connect direct to the router using a wired connection and use the speedtest application instead of the site, no VPN, no WiFi or powerline, ideally nothing else downloading on the connection at the time and post the result.

Soldato
VM over provision, but given the recently launched M600 only does 636Mbit, M500 hasn’t ever done 650Mbit. Now we’ve established that, connect direct to the router using a wired connection and use the speedtest application instead of the site, no VPN, no WiFi or powerline, ideally nothing else downloading on the connection at the time and post the result.

I pay for M600. That's what my package states on the VM website. I've done a speed test with wifi disabled, just my ethernet cable connected from the router to my PC and my download is 400MB and upload is 37MB

Soldato
I pay for M600. That's what my package states on the VM website. I've done a speed test with wifi disabled, just my ethernet cable connected from the router to my PC and my download is 400MB and upload is 37MB

Either way M500 or M600 won't do 650Mbit:

Virgin Media’s Ultimate Oomph customers will benefit from a broadband speed boost as their average download connection speeds are lifted by 120Mbps - from 516Mbps to 636Mbps - at no additional cost.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corpora...t-no-extra-cost-with-launch-of-636mbps-speeds

400Mbit is on the low side, but not horrifically so that it would suggest a fault, have you tried a different test server?

Soldato
Soldato
I've just spoke to VM who advised me that they're aware of various issues with M600 right now, speed drops and connection losses. They noticed that I've had my hub for 4 years and it hasn't been replaced so they're sending me a new one

Soldato
Hmm, I've regularly had ~670Mbit since last April when I first got the Ultimate Oomph package - when it was should have been M500. I think I posted a speedtest back then.

Though whatever I'm doing be it downloading Cyberpunk 2077 or from other sites I get over 650Mbits (I always have DUMeter running so I can always see my average speeds)

Associate

I only have the 'M500' 516Mbps service, but the configuration for the SH3 shows a max download traffic rate of 575000000 which equates to the 548Mbps I often get (upload is similar, described as 35Mbps but configured at 38520000 so a bit under 37Mbps).

I've always presumed VM allows this slight margin so that their service statistics are more likely to be near the published rate when allowing for contention, and also as people are happier to see slightly over rather than under the expected level they're paying for.

I've seen the same with every level of VM broadband I've had since the 100Mbps days so the 636Mbps service could well be the same but perhaps to a lesser degree but still enough for ~650Mbps speed tests.

Soldato
Does this make sense to anyone here?
JiHDJ0b

Upstream power stats to high at 51? Wondering if this could be the problem with my slow speeds on M600

8jovSzt.png

Back
Top Bottom