• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Oh. Install a beta BIOS on a workstation? Euw, no thanks. TBF my experience thus far is that all Asus BIOS are beta. I'm wishing I'd held out for a Supermicro board or at least Asrock Rack or something.

The great thing about Supermicro is that they can patch the BIOS for you specific setup if it is expensive enough :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Anyone managed to get an IceGiant Thermosiphon yet? I know they've shipped stock to European vendors as they emailed me about it. Definitely my next purchase. :)
Stuck in port backlog apparently - about a month away from hitting UK shelves.

Associate
Anyone managed to get an IceGiant Thermosiphon yet? I know they've shipped stock to European vendors as they emailed me about it. Definitely my next purchase. :)

Ordered one from them April 2020, their last email in December says it's on a grand European Tour or stuck in a port somewhere. Might go on sale OC.co.uk before we receive the original orders. They are listed for pre-order. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/icegiant-prosiphon-elite-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-000-ic.html

Associate
I finally got my Prosiphon. Yes it's big, it's heavy but it's probably very good.

BoNG9FJ.jpg

Just need to get round to dismantling my PC to install the thing. Hoping the motherboard can take on all that mass. Will post thermals when done.

Soldato
Can't wait to see some results @tommoT.Striker - get testing! :D Regarding the mobo, personally I'd want that in a horizontal case but that's just me. The TRX40 boards are so thick and have so many copper layers, I bet they can take a fair old weight spread across the area of the socket/mounting system.

Associate
Lol, I got myself braced for the big install after finishing work today. Did some before benchmarks, unpacked this engineering marvel of a cooler, dismantled the fully packed rig and cleaned off the paste after removing the trusty Noctua.

Plonk the giant cooler on top of the CPU...

...And it's resting on top of my four Ram Sticks. My RAM is too tall!!

IceGiant didn't cater for the Threadripper RGB Rigs crew !! :mad:
Anybody have any ideas??? :p

PS. I waited a year for this cooler. D'oh!

PDW

PDW

Associate
A thicker layer of paste ?

It says it allows for RAM height: max. 48mm, how tall are your sticks ?
It should fit over the 8 pack stuff that says "total height of the range is approximately 45,6 mm" so would fit mine :)

Associate
So what you going to do? Get some lower profile ram or send the cooler back ?....shame you can't borrow some just to test it to see if it lives up to the hype.

Associate
Not sure what to do it at this stage. There are rational things to do and crazy things to do. I also have to remember I bought the siphon when I wasn't convinced the Noctua was up to the job. I'd say it is providing you have good airflow.

Do I?
1. Sell my 64gb 4 sticks of Bdie RAM, and buy Corsair low profile Ram like this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...zen-tuned-ddr4-memory-dual-kit-my-4cl-cs.html
2. Sell the Siphon to some other needy user
3. Mod my RAM. Seriously what could go wrong?:p
4. Leave the cooler in the box and use as a door stop.

The Corsair sticks I have are 52mm. Yeah all that RGB has a cost.

Back
Top Bottom