**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
Has anyone moved from a Pixel 2XL to the Samsung S20 FE 5G? Amazon have it on offer at the moment, for £585 and i'm considering it as a replacement for my wife's 2XL. Her No.1 priority is camera.

I decided to order as the price dropped to £505 for the Navy. Delivery 2-5 weeks gives me time to cancel.

Last edited:
Soldato
@BadMojo
I didn’t make that direct move but I have owned both (with 3 or 4 phones in between :p).
If camera is no1 priority I would say she’ll probably not be disappointed with the FE however it’s nothing special in my opinion.
I know there are deals (such as the one you mentioned) but honestly I’d struggle to recommend it to anyone for that price. I paid around that for it (after trade ins etc) and I was pretty underwhelmed truth be told.
I ended up cutting my losses and selling it for around £450 which honestly feels more around it’s price point.
Personally I just think there are better phones to spend that sort of money on. Assuming lightning performance and technical bragging rights aren’t high on your wife’s list what about the Pixel 5?

Associate
I was looking at the Pixel 5 and I think she'll prefer it due to the UI. But it's £100 more at the moment and buying from Amazon is just so easy. :)

To be honest, I think she's perfectly happy with her 2XL. I think it's one of the best phones she's ever had and the camera has resulted in some truely amazing photos. However, she's just upgraded her SIM to a 5G and the Pixel no longer gets updates and they're the reasons I've started looking for her.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking at the Pixel 5 and I think she'll prefer it due to the UI. But it's £100 more at the moment and buying from Amazon is just so easy. :)

To be honest, I think she's perfectly happy with her 2XL. I think it's one of the best phones she's ever had and the camera has resulted in some truely amazing photos. She's just upgraded her SIM to a 5G and the Pixel no longer gets updates and they're the reasons I've started looking for her.

Decisions, decisions...
Unless I’ve missed something it’s only £14 more - £599 on both Amazon and Google Store.
**Edit**
Sorry I did indeed miss something, have just seen you say you got the Navy for £505.
A more palatable price for sure.

As I said the FE is not a bad phone at all, I just don’t think it’s worth anything close to £600.

Associate
I'm going to keep the order live for the time being. I should get my S21+ on Sunday, so she'll be able to have a play with mine and I imagine there are enough similarities in the UI that she'll be able to form the beginnings of an opinion on Samsung phones. Thanks for the input.

Associate
The S20 arrived yesterday and the missus has been evaluating it. She's happy in so much as anyone would be happy with with a new toy. Samsung do things differently to Google and there's that to contend with, but the phone has some new and different features that are entertaining her. But I've stressed the importance of remaining as objective as possible in her assessment of the camera's performance, as that will be the ultimate factor in whether or not she can live with it.

Again, Samsung have a different approach to pictures and she's having a hard time deciding between the two. The colours are different. Saturation is different. Noise processing is different. By default the Samsung was applying various smoothing and beautifying effects that made images look unreal; especially in people.

A lot of her photographs are of our dog and the Samsung doesn't appear to perform as consistently well as the Pixel 2XL. Hit rate isn't as high in poor lighting and overall detail, contrast and emotion in the images is lower in my eyes.

We're taking both phones out with us this afternoon as we walk the dog, so I'll try to get some examples.

We'll see...

Thanks to all for help and guidance.

Associate
Took delivery of my S20 FE 5G 256GB on Friday and it has the dreaded screen ghost touch issues.

Spoke to Samsung about it just now and it's as if nobody there has heard of this problem before which is of course complete lies. Before I send it back for a replacement or refund, is it even worth doing that? Has anyone actually gotten an S20 FE without this problem in which case there is no point in returning it for a replacement and I may as well just get a full refund.

Associate
My wife reports no such issue with her new S20 FE. But she's only had it a couple of days. Is it a problem right out the box?

Associate
The latest update seems to have disabled wireless fast charging for my S20 on all of my Anker and Ravpower wireless charging pads :(

From a quick google it seems that Samsung have done this for any wireless chargers that are not WPC(Qi) certified, supposedly due to issues with some chargers overloading charging circuits. Bit of a pain as I have used these all without issue up until now and also to previously charge my S10e - first world problems I know, but still annoying!

Soldato
Having a nightmare with the echo in my S20 Ultra again.

It's ridiculous in a call, the phone blasts my own voice back at me through the speaker about twice as loud as the person I'm actually in a call with. Has anyone else had this and know how to fix it?

Soldato
My GF just bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I was feeling a little jealous of shiny new phone, I have the S20 Ultra 5G, have to say the S20 Ultra is the better phone aside from those who may prefer iPhone ecosystem and super fast CPU. Camera trades blows, iPhone holds a bit more detail, anything more than 10% Zoon and the S20 wins, S20 also 108mp which the iPhone doesn't have so extra feature, brighter display for the S20, bigger, however the iPhone's display seems bigger when using it? Can't quite understand why?

Wish I could also use Google's camera app that's superior to the Samsung camera app.

Man of Honour
OP
The Goole Camera is good but you do lose out on a considerable number of features on the Samsung camera, and that's only in the stills dept. I have no issues with getting super high quality results from Samsung camera app to be honest. When you factor in video, the Google cam is just toilet in this area.

The March update installed the other day and battery life has improved for Exynos handsets it seems. I am now getting 60Hz battery when at 120Hz:

Screenshot_20210311-210905_Device%20care.png

I saw on Reddit comments stating that the March patch included specific Exynos changes.

Back
Top Bottom