Mattresses - I need knowledge

Caporegime
I meant more like 400 ish but as I said soon realised we need to up the budget. Frame budget seperate unless there are such things as decent package deals.

Don't mind looking around the £1000 mark maybe more if it really is amazing. Even better if can get some sort of 0%

Most of the superking on that Jr site seem unavailable to order.

But like I said is it even a good idea to order something like this without being able to see and feel in person first? Don't like the thought of spending all the money and hating it.

Even £400 is cheap and not even enough for an IKEA mattress.

Theres certain things that are worth paying decent money for;

A decent pair of shoes as you will no doubt spend a lot of time on your feet in them.

A decent chair.

And a decent mattress as you will spend a third of your life lying on top of one.

You have a shoe collection worth thousands judging by your posts.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34655385

Yet want to spend the equivalent of less than a pair of shoes on a mattress that you will be spending at least 8 hours a day on.

Good to see you have your priorities straight.

Yes spending £1500 is going to get you a much better mattress.

Soldato
Why does everyone keep going back to when I said a few hundred quid. Even in my original post I achnowledge that I know its going to be more like a grand plus.

The **** do you know what my priorities are?

Are you blind to where I said I was considering that latex opulence the previous poster was discussing?

I know about all there is about the shoe market. What I know nothing about is mattresses hence me asking...

Judgemental ass

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's went from few hundred to £400 and now £1000.

I quoted the exact wording you used. So that's why I mentioned a few hundred and then your second post which stated more like £400. You would have been better off not stating a budget at all.

Even £1000 isn't enough for a super king from John Ryan fyi. I know I spent more than that on a king size from them.

You should be looking at IKEA or sleepeezee but neither will be as good as a John Ryan. So it depends on how much you value quality.

A decent John Ryan mattress should last pretty much forever in terms of mattress life times under normal usage. So long as nobody is jumping up and down on the springs and regular care and maintenance in terms of keeping it clean and rotation, etc. It should last several decades.

A decent IKEA will last 10-15 years at best and same with sleepeezee again with proper care and rotation. That's if you go for the most expensive IKEA mattress which is what's available for your budget. Unfortunately pocket sprung means over time the springs get worn out. Think of a car how long do springs last on them and those springs are much stronger and much thicker, etc paying £40 for a single spring. No mattress lasts forever it's an item subject to wear and tear and cheap mattresses start to fall apart after 1-5 years. Which is why those bag in box mattresses come with less than a year to return them. It will usually be fine for 6 months and then the warranty period is over on them and your left with crap.

Surely you can see the issue with someone who spends thousands on shoes and £400 on a mattress? Which is why it was mentioned. Looks like it got the point across so now we can move on to where you need around £2k to get a super king from John Ryan if you really want a quality mattress.

If that's too much then probably IKEA or sleepeezee is best for you but again it's going to be nearer the £1k mark rather than the original few hundred quid. I don't think IKEA even do super king tbh so probably sleepeezee is your best bet.

Soldato
Someone's touchy, heh. :D

The fact you even mention a few hundred £'s, and decent in the same sentence for a Superking mattress, that was the trigger for the folk in here who were going to give you some advice, that can never be forgotten now. :)

Getting back to your original query, I ask this to a lot of people, spending 5 minutes in a mattress in a showroom will tell you nothing at all unless it is way, way off, e.g far too soft, or far too firm. You could dismiss a perfectly good mattress, or even worse think it the one you picked is fine.

Most good quality manufacturers/retailers will offer at least 50 day test period, and the like of John Ryan will offer a great deal more, this allows you to get used to the bed/mattress and ensure it is right for you, turning it, and checking for side sag, or bunching in the middle, and many other things that may become apparent, having a test across seasons is a good idea as well, to check how hot/cold it is if you are sensitive to that. You'll also find very few retailers and manufacturers are as transparent as John Ryan, they detail ever last material used, the gsm, how it is made, where it is made, and why they chose it.

Cost per nights sleep per person, 10 years/3650 days for two people 20p per night each is a great starting point for a King size, 10-15% more for Super. Cost per night goes up a lot when you end up replacing it after 3-4 years due to it being poor quality even though it may appear much cheaper at the start.

Soldato
Yeah it did go up but literally in the same sentence. As in a quick 5 minute Google, realising they do exist at this price point but not even worth considering. But I shouldn't have to spell that out.
Then said I liked the look of a £1300 latexsense model straight after.

Just nitpicking really. Do you query everyone in motors who buys a fancy car to make sure they have a nice 5 bed house with big garden first? Because priorities.

Thank you both now it finally seems like I'm getting some useful info. I will definitely check out sleepeezee.

As said I don't mind pushing over 1k if it's something nice. There is no set budget and anyone offering 0% then I can and am willing to push fuether3.

Last night most of the Jr's were showing unavailable on my phone but seem to be back on there now. Will check them out on the desktop again later.

Does latex last as long or longer than pocketsprung then?
I'm liking all the sound of the cooling latex ones but is it just marketing flumpf?

Journey - I get what you are saying about showrooms. I guess would be more just to get a comparison of what the feel between the different types or different spring counts can be like.

Caporegime
Latex makes it softer.

John Ryan offer interest free also. I've had both sleepeezee and John Ryan and both were decent but the John ryan feels considerably better. I still have both too. Used the sleepeezee for 10 years and only upgraded because wanted a bigger bed.

Go for 2000 springs and of you find it too firm buy a topper.

Caporegime
You sure about that? I can't see anything regarding finance on their website or at check out.

All I can find are some responses to questions about it from a few years ago that say offering finance would push their prices up so they don't offer it.

It's how I bought mine

Deposit: £279.00

Interest Rate: 0%
Total Interest: £0.00
Repayments: £54.25 per month for 12 months

We wanted to let you know that your deposit of £279.00 has been successfully processed by Omni Capital, for your finance application at John Ryan By Design Limited

Soldato
Cant see anything about 0% on JR either.

Quite interested in the Sleepeezee Perfectly British Mayfair 3200 Mattress. Seems a good mix of supportive with a soft built in topper which sounds ideal.

https://www.mynextmattress.co.uk/sleepeezee-perfectly-british-mayfair-mattress

Seems can get it for about £1150 with 60 day trial being able to swap for any other sleepeezee model.

0% over 12 months or 2 years seems pretty great also. If did that would probably put 50% up front.

Soldato
Cant see anything about 0% on JR either.

Quite interested in the Sleepeezee Perfectly British Mayfair 3200 Mattress. Seems a good mix of supportive with a soft built in topper which sounds ideal.

https://www.mynextmattress.co.uk/sleepeezee-perfectly-british-mayfair-mattress

Seems can get it for about £1150 with 60 day trial being able to swap for any other sleepeezee model.

0% over 12 months or 2 years seems pretty great also. If did that would probably put 50% up front.
Not sure you can flip those bad boys as the topper isn't reversible. Also, as you've rightly said, you know your finances, but if it's 0% I wouldn't be paying anything but the minimum deposit because there is no benefit in doing so. Stick the balance in the bank for safety cash flow / measly interest :p

I went for the Sleepeezee 2500 which was still 650ish but lightyears ahead of anything I'd had before.

Soldato
Be interested to hear how that artisan naturals is also.

Had mine well over a year (super king) and love it, yes it is a pain to turn over/round being ~100Kg but that is the only negative. I've got the medium version, and it seems just right but I am not that heavy, Mrs loves it as she had major issues with her back with the last mattress, but this one helps her sleep like a baby every night.

Back
Top Bottom