Case and Cooler for Ryzen 3600

Associate
So I have now pretty much decided on most of my new build however cannot decide on a case and have no idea which CPU Cooler to go for!

Case choices are the Phanteks P400S or Fractal Define S, both will be using stock cooling initially and will be holding 3x3.5" drives and 2x2.5" drives. Do the drives get hot in the Fractal? Also does the Phanteks look cheap (only going by pictures)?

I'm after the best combination of cool and quiet for CPU Cooler, heres what Im looking at -
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £147.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Soldato
Personally I would go for a 5x or 6x 6mm heatpipe cooler.

Sure, 4x 6mm heatpipes will cool it but will make a lot more noise doing it than a bigger cooler will. There is a Cryorig H5 *B-Grade* for £36.95.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...ink-with-140mm-fan-black-frame-bg-006-cy.html
Double check with OcUK that it has AM4 mount. If not, they have mount for £3.95
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-am4-bracket-for-h5-c1-m9a-coolers-type-a-hs-00t-cy.html

Also make sure you have good case airflow. You might find link below helpful:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
I've been using the eSports duo cooler on my 3700x and it's been great. Its quiet and cools well although I haven't bothered to overclock my cpu beyond the built in overclocking.

+1

I had the dual fan Arctic Freezer eSports 33 on my 3700x - upgraded to a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax, about 3x the price but only a little better...

Associate
I hear great things about the Arctic freezer eSports duo. I have a Dark Rock Pro 4 and it keeps my 3600 cool as a cucumber with 4.2ghz all cores at 1.30v. cost £67 though and it's massive.

Soldato
I have a Phanteks P400s. Get the Fractal; I wish I had. Gamers Nexus did a good review of the P400s, check it out here
To be fair, stock case fan setups are absolutely horrible! Testing P400S with stock fan placement is just plain stupid! With single front intake 2/3rds-3/4th of fan mounting panel is open letting all the air front fan pushing in circle right around in front again, so that leave rear exhaut fan to try and move air out of case, but again with other venting area in back of case some of the air fan moves out could be circling back in. To get good airflow in any case requires making case a tube with fans flowing air in / flowing air out. We don't need both intake and exhaust fans for same reasons we don't need fan front and back of cooler or radiator.

Fractal Design stock case fans are Dynamic GP-14 with only 0.71mm H2O pressure rating .. not enough even at full speed to move but very little air. They have to be replaced with better fans .. fans with higher pressure rating.

Phantkeks P400S comes with 2x 120mm fans that are basically a variable voltage lower rpm version of PH-F120MP which have very good pressure ratings. Put stock case fans in front as intakes with all all openings not covered by them blocked so all the air they move into case has to flow on through case to get out and P400S will flow way better than in GN review. Add a 3rd front intake and it flows even better.

Associate
To be fair, stock case fan setups are absolutely horrible! ...
My old Antec 900 has been a breeze (hehe). Bought it 8 years ago now and it's served well. 2 120mm intakes, 1 120mm exhaust and 1 200mm exhaust on top.

My GPU can get hot, about 75C, on a very hot day with high GPU/CPU usage.

Back
Top Bottom