GPU advice/help

Associate
Ordered most of my parts from OC.uk

Got the lian li mesh 2, all black
Corsair RM850 modular PSU
MSI x570 Tomahawk Mobo
WD sn550 1tb NVme M.2
Mugen Fuma 2 cooler

As well as a few other things. Need to buy my ram and will probably go for 3200mhz ram. Do people think I should go for 32gb (4x8) or stick with 16gb @ 3600mhz and add more later?

Onto my question, I am lost with the GPU. I will be getting the Ryzen 3 3300x Which I will use for a year or 2, then update to a gen 4 when needed.

As for the GPU I have no idea. I have a £200 to £220 budget. I don't play games but might try a few at some point. However I will be giving this to my daughter at some point and she likes to play games an will want to stream as a hobby.

Been looking at the following

Sapphire RX 5500 xt 8gb
MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS 6gb GDDR6
MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 8G OC GDDR6

To be honest I am lost and dont have a clue. Any help and advice would be welcome.;)

Man of Honour
32gb teamgroup 3200mhz of ram can be had for £100 and Some what future proofs.

2 x 16gb should be used rather than 4x8gb.

The 1660 super is about 20% faster than the 5500xt for 1080p gaming.

Soldato
Ordered most of my parts from OC.uk

Got the lian li mesh 2, all black
Corsair RM850 modular PSU
MSI x570 Tomahawk Mobo
WD sn550 1tb NVme M.2
Mugen Fuma 2 cooler

As well as a few other things. Need to buy my ram and will probably go for 3200mhz ram. Do people think I should go for 32gb (4x8) or stick with 16gb @ 3600mhz and add more later?

Onto my question, I am lost with the GPU. I will be getting the Ryzen 3 3300x Which I will use for a year or 2, then update to a gen 4 when needed.

As for the GPU I have no idea. I have a £200 to £220 budget. I don't play games but might try a few at some point. However I will be giving this to my daughter at some point and she likes to play games an will want to stream as a hobby.

Been looking at the following

Sapphire RX 5500 xt 8gb
MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS 6gb GDDR6
MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT MECH 8G OC GDDR6

To be honest I am lost and dont have a clue. Any help and advice would be welcome.;)

Too late to cancel/amend the order ? You could easily save money on the board with something like the MSI B550-A PRO.

An 850W psu is way more than you need if you are not buying a high end gpu. A 550W would easily be enough for a gpu like the 1660 Super. Not a fan of the 5500XT.

Those savings would give you a bit more wiggle room to buy a gpu.

Associate
OP
Would you be open to buying a 2nd hand GPU?

Not sure as I am wary of second hand, no guarantee and I am very new to all this. I could be open to this if original receipt and boxing was there.

32gb teamgroup 3200mhz of ram can be had for £100 and Some what future proofs.

2 x 16gb should be used rather than 4x8gb.

The 1660 super is about 20% faster than the 5500xt for 1080p gaming.

OK thanks I have been looking at that ram and going that route

Too late to cancel/amend the order ? You could easily save money on the board with something like the MSI B550-A PRO.

An 850W psu is way more than you need if you are not buying a high end gpu. A 550W would easily be enough for a gpu like the 1660 Super. Not a fan of the 5500XT.

Those savings would give you a bit more wiggle room to buy a gpu.

I have went higher on the (edit PSU) as the cost is not that much more and will last for many years. Would people recommend the 1660 6gb with GDDR6 over the RX5500? That is what I have been looking at the MSI Nvida 1660 super ventus. I was originally looking at the MSI B550 but |I have already placed the order. Not sure if it can be amended. Would that also be futureproof and accommodate the gen 4 processors?

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure as I am wary of second hand, no guarantee and I am very new to all this. I could be open to this if original receipt and boxing was there.

I hear you. You may also want to steer clear of GPUs used for mining. I reckon you should be safe buying a GPU around 12-18 months old with a box and receipt. You should be able to pick up some good deals on 20-series cards as gamers gear up for 30-series.

OK thanks I have been looking at that ram and going that route

I have went higher on the GPU as the cost is not that much more and will last for many years. Would people recommend the 1660 6gb with GDDR6 over the RX5500? That is what I have been looking at the MSI Nvida 1660 super ventus. I was originally looking at the MSI B550 but |I have already placed the order. Not sure if it can be amended. Would that also be futureproof and accommodate the gen 4 processors?

Soldato
I have went higher on the GPU as the cost is not that much more and will last for many years. Would people recommend the 1660 6gb with GDDR6 over the RX5500? That is what I have been looking at the MSI Nvida 1660 super ventus. I was originally looking at the MSI B550 but |I have already placed the order. Not sure if it can be amended. Would that also be futureproof and accommodate the gen 4 processors?

This Hardware Unboxed review compares the 5500XT against the 1650 Super and 1660 Super, so you can get an idea of 1080p performance.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1958-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt/

The B550 boards will support Ryzen 4000 when they release. You will just need a bios update, but that would also apply to X570.

Soldato
Added the ram, changed the psu and motherboard. The cooler you listed is out of stock and the case isnt available foe a week or more. You may be able to cancel the whole order and start again as some of the things you listed arent available atm.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £553.68 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
OP
This Hardware Unboxed review compares the 5500XT against the 1650 Super and 1660 Super, so you can get an idea of 1080p performance.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1958-amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt/

The B550 boards will support Ryzen 4000 when they release. You will just need a bios update, but that would also apply to X570.

Thanks will check it out now.

Edit, checked through and it looks like the GTX Nvida 1660 super is the way to go?

Added the ram, changed the psu and motherboard. The cooler you listed is out of stock and the case isnt available foe a week or more. You may be able to cancel the whole order and start again as some of the things you listed arent available atm.

Total: £553.68 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Will look at the ram, guy taking my order recommended the 1TB drive as I can load up a lot of stuff I use frequently will space to spare. I don't mind waiting for all the stuff as I have a PC to use until everything is in stock

I have been looking at the B550 tomahawk but I would need to add Bluetooth and it does not have many connection ports on the back for peripheral's, so for the extra £35 (after buying a Bluetooth adapter) I might as well stick with the X570. Not sure if I could change now anyway and would need Bluetooth. Will check out the ram. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks will check it out now.

Edit, checked through and it looks like the GTX Nvida 1660 super is the way to go?

Will look at the ram, guy taking my order recommended the 1TB drive as I can load up a lot of stuff I use frequently will space to spare. I don't mind waiting for all the stuff as I have a PC to use until everything is in stock

I have been looking at the B550 tomahawk but I would need to add Bluetooth and it does not have many connection ports on the back for peripheral's, so for the extra £35 (after buying a Bluetooth adapter) I might as well stick with the X570. Not sure if I could change now anyway and would need Bluetooth. Will check out the ram. Thanks

Both of these boards support Bluetooth 5.1

The Micro ATX Mortar would still work fine in an ATX case.

Total: £330.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
My bad missed it was a 1tb drive.

What about this one as it has 7 usb on the back and supports bluetooth?

Total: £200.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

That board looks great and £30 cheaper, do you know if it has an internal front type c connector as I will be fitting that to my case? Will call up OC now and that will give me extra towards my GPU. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
That board looks great and £20 cheaper, do you know if it has a front typc c connector as I will be fitting that to my case?

Going by this:

3x USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps ports (1 Type-C internal connector, and 2 ports are available through the internal USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps connector)

I would assume so.

Associate
OP
Pretty sure all the 1660 Super cards are GDDR6.

You can get them with GDDR5 but noticed it is only £10 cheaper so will go for the 1660 super 6GB with GDDR6 ram

That board looks great and £30 cheaper, do you know if it has an internal front type c connector as I will be fitting that to my case? Will call up OC now and that will give me extra towards my GPU. Thanks

Thanks for the advice, changed my order and also lowered the PSU to the RM750. Saved £44.05 so will add that to my CPU or GPU. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom