Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve (1500R) 34” 1440 144Hz VA panel FreeSync Premium Pro

Associate
I bought this monitor last week from a german e-tailer and it had the old firmware with the flickering at 144 hz with activated freesync. Sent it back for the update and received it today with the new fw. Still had flickering in some games.
Changing refresh rate and freesync range to 141 hz max did help though and freesync still works. Nonetheless very disapointing. I'm using a RX 5700 XT by the way.

Soldato
Iiyama haven't emailed me back about which retailers have stock of updated firmware, and ideally I need to order today. I had an order with OC but had to cancel for a refund as the order was sitting unprocessed for over a week, despite it being listed as in stock when I bought.

I might just take a gamble on an order with someone and hope I'm lucky with the firmware.

EDIT: Overclockers now listing 10+ in stock... wahoo. @Gibbo I don't suppose there is a way to confirm if it is the updated firmware?

EDIT2: I've sent a pre-sales enquiry through the form so fingers crossed
I can confirm the next biggest retailer in Bolton stocks the monitor with the updated firmware, i got mine from there.

Soldato
  • RTX2080
  • Newest driver via Geforce Experience (version from12.08.2020)
  • I saw flickering when gaming and on dark/greyish backgrounds. Independent of the FPS. I had flickering with 30/60/100/120/140 fps and Hertz.
  • Crusader Kings 3 and Flight Sim 2020
Very strange, i basically did the same diagnosis as you but only got the flickering in menu's and some load screens. In actual game there was no flickering at all and normal desktop use did not exhibit any of the flickering issues.

I was using a 2080 as well and a dp 1.4 cable but also hooked up a second monitor using a dp 1.4 cable.

Associate
Hi All, I'm from the iiyama UK service team and I can confirm we have a firmware fix for the GB3466WQSU to resolve the flickering at 144hz. Many apologies for anyone who made the purchase before we fixed the glitch. I can confirm that Over Clockers UK will get updated stock this week. If you have a display showing these symptoms we offer a 48 hour swap. You can make contact with our service team and we will collect and replace within a few days. I'd like to think that the Kit Guru guys do give us at times a brutally honest appraisal of our screens, and they also received a unit which flickered, but our service teams swapped that and enabled them to complete the below review which I feel gives a good overview of the screens features and quality.

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...g-master-gb3466wqsu-ultrawide-monitor-review/

Any questions please feel free to email us on [email protected] .

LRT

LRT

Associate
Hi All, I'm from the iiyama UK service team and I can confirm we have a firmware fix for the GB3466WQSU to resolve the flickering at 144hz. Many apologies for anyone who made the purchase before we fixed the glitch. I can confirm that Over Clockers UK will get updated stock this week. If you have a display showing these symptoms we offer a 48 hour swap. You can make contact with our service team and we will collect and replace within a few days. I'd like to think that the Kit Guru guys do give us at times a brutally honest appraisal of our screens, and they also received a unit which flickered, but our service teams swapped that and enabled them to complete the below review which I feel gives a good overview of the screens features and quality.

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...g-master-gb3466wqsu-ultrawide-monitor-review/

Any questions please feel free to email us on [email protected] .
Smashing, thanks for getting in touch. I had a firmware update done around 3 weeks ago by iiyama repair center, is this new firmware you mentioned newer than the one my monitor received 3 weeks ago?

Associate
Smashing, thanks for getting in touch. I had a firmware update done around 3 weeks ago by iiyama repair center, is this new firmware you mentioned newer than the one my monitor received 3 weeks ago?

iiyama Support - You will have the latest. We spotted it straightaway and managed to get enough service stock out there. So you will be 100% ok. Once a screen has the latest firmware, its sorted for its life. Very rarely do we need to post new firmware as GPU's change. The only time we upgrade things is when there is a major shift in GPU's, i.e Freesync to Freesync Premium Pro GPU's. When this happens it tends to be a combo of hardware and Firmware. But luckily this is a 4-5 year cycle generally.

LRT

LRT

Associate
iiyama Support - You will have the latest. We spotted it straightaway and managed to get enough service stock out there. So you will be 100% ok. Once a screen has the latest firmware, its sorted for its life. Very rarely do we need to post new firmware as GPU's change. The only time we upgrade things is when there is a major shift in GPU's, i.e Freesync to Freesync Premium Pro GPU's. When this happens it tends to be a combo of hardware and Firmware. But luckily this is a 4-5 year cycle generally.
What if I can still see flickering with Freesync enabled at 144 Hz with only few games with the new firmware? The last firmware almost fully eliminated flickering with my 5700XT, but I noticed when playing just two sepcific games, that there's still some flickering although nowhere as bad as with the old firmware.

Anyway the 48 hours swap is pretty nice, kudos for that!

Associate
What if I can still see flickering with Freesync enabled at 144 Hz with only few games with the new firmware? The last firmware almost fully eliminated flickering with my 5700XT, but I noticed when playing just two sepcific games, that there's still some flickering although nowhere as bad as with the old firmware.

Anyway the 48 hours swap is pretty nice, kudos for that!

I think we may need to test those specific games . See if there are some native settings activated within the game. Let me know which ones they are and i'll get an engineer to do a test.

Associate
Is there a number, a reference to know what firmware is required to be sure the unit sent is the correct one.
Like this people can contact seller and ask firmware info before confirming purchase...all old units should be removed.
I am from Belgium, I do not want to loose days or weeks with administrative tasks, just because old firmware is trash and monitors could still be sent with that defect...
Thanks anyway @iiyama UK for the answer. I have some iiyama monitors at home and wanted this one x2 but not anymore based on this firmware thing...

Associate
Is there a number, a reference to know what firmware is required to be sure the unit sent is the correct one.
Like this people can contact seller and ask firmware info before confirming purchase...all old units should be removed.
I am from Belgium, I do not want to loose days or weeks with administrative tasks, just because old firmware is trash and monitors could still be sent with that defect...
Thanks anyway @iiyama UK for the answer. I have some iiyama monitors at home and wanted this one x2 but not anymore based on this firmware thing...

Look in the bottom left corner of the screen during start up. If it says "FreeSync 2 HDR", its the old firmware. If its says "FreeSync Premium Pro / DisplayHDR 400". Its the newer firmware.

And yes all old units were removed from the channel once we found the issue. We stopped sales across Europe, and sent trucks to all retailers and distributors to collect the stock for reworking when we found out. However, the firmware is now solved. So if you would like to reconsider your purchase now is the best time. We never like to upset our customers. At times, the odd glitch does slip through QC. By in large with was a Covid issue. Our factories are in Shenzen, which was not badly effected. But we could not embed the QC staff there like we always do. So they could not do proper testing like we always do. If some of you have iiyama screen, with a height adjustable stand, the engineers at times sign them on the metal plate, to let you know it was hand tested off the production line.

We have learned from this. I'm about to launch our new 24" IPS 165Hz today at OCUK, and we won't ship stock until we have tested it on multiple GPU's.

LRT

LRT

Associate
I think we may need to test those specific games . See if there are some native settings activated within the game. Let me know which ones they are and i'll get an engineer to do a test.

That would be great, the two games where I'm still seeing flickering symptom is Anno 1800 (during gameplay and in menus, visible especially with dark backgrounds or water) and Flight Simulator 2020 (for some reasons menus only).

Associate
Hi guys, just got mine in the post today from Overclockers and it came with the new software :D just wondering if anyone how found the perfect OSD settings in terms of colours and contrast and all that?> I'm useless at setting them up and would appreciate someone else's settings if possible.

thanks,
Jack

Associate
That would be great, the two games where I'm still seeing flickering symptom is Anno 1800 (during gameplay and in menus, visible especially with dark backgrounds or water) and Flight Simulator 2020 (for some reasons menus only).
Can you give me your email. I will send an email to our service guys with you on the CC and hook up a chat if thats OK?

LRT

LRT

Associate
Hi guys, just got mine in the post today from Overclockers and it came with the new software :D just wondering if anyone how found the perfect OSD settings in terms of colours and contrast and all that?> I'm useless at setting them up and would appreciate someone else's settings if possible.

thanks,
Jack
I prepared ICC profile for the monitor some time ago (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33873990), but honestly, the colour accuracy out of the box is very decent.

Associate
I received my monitor from OCUK today, and have been playing around with it for an hour or so. It's got the new firmware applied, and I haven't noticed any flickering when gaming at 144hz; or in the menus at any point. Very happy with it so far.

Associate
Hello guys.
I really think about this monitor. Does it have blur reduction function? If yes, can it be used with FreeSync?
Thanks!

Associate
I think just to be sure I'll create a new ICC profile using a different software, more up to date compatible with Windows 10. Will keep you posted.

EDIT: I tested how the previously generated profile behaves with my another Windows 10 PC and the second one indeed shows a very strong yellow tint.

I've now profiled the monitor using a different software which is Windows 10 compatible and reproduced the colours the way I like it. Important thing is the iiyama supports automatic color adjustment imposed by the software and (assuming your monitor comes from the same batch, with the same VA panel, and the same firmware) thanks to that I have a perfect colour match with some of test prints. This also fixed the yellow overlay I've seen with my second Windows 10 PC. To get the most accurate colour space reproduction, which i'm looking at right now, and again assuming you have the same display and firmware as I do (which is not totally unreasonable to assume), you'll need to modify the following monitor settings:
BRIGHTNESS at least 11, you can increase it as much as you want
CONTRAST = 50
COLOR SETTINGS -> COLOR TEMP. = USER and
USER PRESET: RED = 98, GREEN = 96, BLUE = 84

Please let me know if this new format ICC profile still applies the infamous yelow overlay.

P.S. I should also add that according to the profiling software the monitor has exceptionally good and accurate optimal contrast so there was no reason to amend its value, hence it remained at 50.

Hi @LRT would you be able to re-upload your ICC profile? The dropbox folder is showing as empty for me.

Many thanks,

LRT

LRT

Associate
Hi @LRT would you be able to re-upload your ICC profile? The dropbox folder is showing as empty for me.

Many thanks,
No probs, I've re-uploaded it. You'll see some difference, but as I mentioned earlier (and assuming our VA panels come from the same production batch) not much needs to be changed on GB3466WQSU to have 100% accurate colour representation.

Associate
OK, I spoke too soon. I'm seeing flickering now, when using the content manager in Assetto Corsa. It goes away when I turn off freesync.

I guess there's no getting away from the fact there panels are susceptible to this phenomenon. All the monitors that share this panel suffer from it, and while I applaud Iiyama's efforts and good customer service, it doesn't appear that the issue has totally gone away with the latest firmware. I'll do some testing in various games that I have, then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom