Kin'Yobi VR Gaming PC - AMD Ryzan 1800X 8-core system installation

Associate
Hi folks,

I've just purchased this full system from OCUK in parts to self-build.

-AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core
-Asus ROG Strix B350-F DDR4 ATX Motherboard
-Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
-Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ming-pc-amd-ryzen-1800x-8-core-fs-1c2-og.html

After building, the machine will power up but there's no display, can't get to POST. The monitor will input-cycle and not find anything. After some swift Googling, I've reset CMOS, reseated RAM, tried just one RAM stick, tried without the 3rd party GPU.

In and among the Googling, I noticed one person on a forum with a very brief comment about "don't forget to plug in the cpu power, I forgot about that when building". Now it's been a good 15 years since I last built a PC so I'm very rusty, so I'm not sure if this is a red herring, so maybe someone could assist, but...

The motherboard has two ATX power connectors, one large 24 pin and another 8 pin. The 24 pin is connected to the supplied Kolink 600w PSU, but there isn't an 8 pin connector from the PSU to plug into the other ATX slot.

So my question is, does this 8 pin connector need power (does it power the CPU?), or will the 24 pin suffice and I'm barking up the wrong tree with regard to my problem?

Thanks a lot, folks.
c

Soldato
Hi

Yes you need the 8 pin to be plugged in. That psu will have a 4 + 4 cpu cable. It might say EPS or ATX.

I personally would have gone with a 1700/X and spent a bit more on a higher quality psu.

Associate
OP
Hi Lee, thanks for your help.

I see that there's the 4+4 cable (I should have mentioned this), but they have a 'set up' which is akin to the phrase "round pegs in square holes" - so the first 4 pin block will slide in nicely, but the second 'half' of it as such, won't, if that makes sense?

Soldato
Best approach is to get the motherboard manual out and go through it carefully to make sure you don’t miss anything.

To be clear I definitely did not forget to plug in two cables on my build initially :eek:

Associate
OP
The only viable option I can see is using that 4+4 from the PSU to fulfil that 8 pin socket (if indeed that does power the CPU?), but the one half of that 4+4 block doesn't fit.

The bottom line of my thinking here, is that as this is an 'off the shelf' OC bundle (and whether I purchased a different PSU or not) this should absolutely all fit together - or am I just overthinking this somewhere....

Soldato
The only viable option I can see is using that 4+4 from the PSU to fulfil that 8 pin socket (if indeed that does power the CPU?), but the one half of that 4+4 block doesn't fit.

The bottom line of my thinking here, is that as this is an 'off the shelf' OC bundle (and whether I purchased a different PSU or not) this should absolutely all fit together - or am I just overthinking this somewhere....

Yes it does provide power to the cpu so you will definitely need it. The two halves of the connector should lock together side by side so that the tab can click down onto the socket. So the two connectors will only go into the board one way when joined.

You can try it with just one of the 4 pins connected to see if it will boot. Don't do any overclocking though on the cpu.

Soldato
And it's alive!

Thanks, Lee. Didn't even think of trying just the 'half' of the block.

You are welcome :) (Just seen your pm as well).

I would still contact ocuk though if it won't go together as an 8 pin (Could be a duff connector on the 2nd half of the cable). As you have an 1800X then I would want the 8 pin plugged in for long term usage. At least you are up and running though.

If you have a chance to get a return on the psu then I would look at something of better quality if you have the budget.

Soldato
Do the two 4+4 not interlock together .

Recommend building it on the Mobo box. Pending on your set up and case, not always easy to fit the CPU 8 pins in .

With mother board out , you'll be able to see the slot layout more clearly and be able to line up the PSU cable to it. Can also load up pics here for people to lend a hand .

Pictures speak a thousand words

Would also disable the auto overclocking feature the X chip has ! If you going to test run it . Not sure if board will detect it has enough power etc etc

Back
Top Bottom