Need help completely new to pc !

Associate
Hello guys I'm completely new to pc finally decieded to break away from console, I don't have much of a budget so I'm just asking for recommendations on something to play modern games on like medium setting ad could anyone explain how medium would compare to console? Sorry I'm completely new to this aha, any of these sound any good ?
ULTRA FX GTX GAMING PC
  • AMD FX-4300 Processor
  • 8GB DDR3 1600mhz Memory
  • GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB Video Card
  • MSI 760GM-P23 MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • AMD Standard CPU Cooler
  • Cooler Master Elite 310 Case
  • Windows 10 Home

HEROES OF THE STORM ULTRA GAMING PC
  • AMD FX-6300 Processor
  • MSI 760GM-P23 MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • Windows 10 Home
CYBERPOWER I3 GAMING PC CONFIGURATOR
  • INTEL® Core™ i3-7100 Processor
  • 8GB DDR4 2133mhz Memory
  • Integrated onboard Graphic
  • MSI H110M PRO-VD MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • INTEL CPU Cooler
ULTRA FUSION GAMING PC
  • AMD A8-7600 R7 6GCN Processor
  • Asus A68HM-K MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • Cooler Master N300 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
  • Windows 10 Home
Any help really appreciated :)

Associate
Depends on the game, the biggest plus for me on PC's is the frame rates. After playing at over 60 fps, consoles feel unplayable. Generally consoles are medium to high at 30 fps. Console hardware despite being relatively low powered is very well optimised.

Associate
The graphics card is bottom of the range, but will be able to game. The CPU is weak, and may struggle on some titles. I personally think the experience you would have would be more pleasant on a console than the machines listed above. Others may disagree. These pre-builds tend also to use very low quality components for the power supply which can also cause issues down the line. Have you looked at second hand hardware?

Associate
OP
I've just seen this online for 350 second hand any good ?
gaming pc running windows 10 (64bit),
It has a intel pentium G3420 3.20ghz processor.16gb of corsair vengeance DDR3 ram(1600MHz Pro Series). MSI B85-G43 gaming motherboard. Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7700 HD XFX ( memory 1024MB, 1000MHz core clock, memory clock 1125MHz) 4 Coolermaster red led fans 120mm. One hard drive 320 gb. Corsair CX 600 80 plus gold. CiT Spectre white case.

Associate
I would be looking for something with a 970 graphics card and an i5 CPU even an older one. a CPU with ideally with a K at the end but not essentially. 8 mb of RAM fine and an SSD (128 mb be fine) providing it has another spinner HD too

Soldato
Hello guys I'm completely new to pc finally decieded to break away from console, I don't have much of a budget so I'm just asking for recommendations on something to play modern games on like medium setting ad could anyone explain how medium would compare to console? Sorry I'm completely new to this aha, any of these sound any good ?
ULTRA FX GTX GAMING PC
  • AMD FX-4300 Processor
  • MSI 760GM-P23 MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • Windows 10 Home

HEROES OF THE STORM ULTRA GAMING PC
  • AMD FX-6300 Processor
  • MSI 760GM-P23 MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • Windows 10 Home
CYBERPOWER I3 GAMING PC CONFIGURATOR
  • INTEL® Core™ i3-7100 Processor
  • 8GB DDR4 2133mhz Memory
  • Integrated onboard Graphic
  • MSI H110M PRO-VD MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • INTEL CPU Cooler
ULTRA FUSION GAMING PC
  • AMD A8-7600 R7 6GCN Processor
  • Asus A68HM-K MB
  • 1TB SATA3 HDD
  • Cooler Master N300 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
  • Windows 10 Home

No, they don't. Recommend you take your time before throwing money away at something that can't be upgraded (old CPU socket, weak PSU etc) when you maybe find it struggles with modern games @ 1080p. Same for that second-hand £350 system you spotted - the price is too close to what new equivalent parts would cost today (doesn't matter what they paid for it originally). You can find better deals than that, so keep hunting.

If you end up buying new, recommend you make a GTX 1050Ti 4GB a "must" inclusion, along with the 8GB RAM minimum energizer mentioned. 1TB HDD will do for starters. SSD can come later, will make a nice upgrade. Cheap case that will do the job. Semi-decent PSU (ask for advice before purchasing, lots of terrible ones still abound). Semi-decent motherboard (that will work with the processor), and then the rest on the best processor (with an included cooler) you can find, and a copy of Windows. Speaking of Windows - you can use it for free 30 days (without activation), and then after that buy a key and activate, in case you know you'll have extra funds for that later.

Something like:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £528.69
(includes shipping: £12.30)

If you shop around/ask for OcUK price-matching, might get it nearer the £500. Maybe even squeeze in a slightly better motherboard (the A320s aren't really recommended for more powerful processors, even though they will run on them as long as they are AM4 and 65W. A B350 would be better if you plan on upgrading processor at some point. Then again, a cheap A320 isn't a huge loss if you need to replace it when you replace processor, and can get a bit of money back flogging it.)

Intel Kabylake Pentium build is also a good option:

Total: £497.22

Can even start off with a 250GB SSD. Weaker processor compared to the Ryzen 5 1400 overall although its two cores may be slightly faster than the 1400's first two cores, after that the more cores an app uses/multitasking the 1400 will beat the G4560, but the B250 motherboard will handle any Kabylake (or Skylake) i5/i7 processor upgrade, just no overclocking.

TLDR; You should see better performance from the 1400 in most modern games, not all.

Avoid Corsair CX PSUs with green label on the side and 3 year warranty. You want grey label and 5 year warranty. Unless you find a good alternative to those.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, they don't. Recommend you take your time before throwing money away at something that can't be upgraded (old CPU socket, weak PSU etc) when you maybe find it struggles with modern games @ 1080p. Same for that second-hand £350 system you spotted - the price is too close to what new equivalent parts would cost today (doesn't matter what they paid for it originally). You can find better deals than that, so keep hunting.

If you end up buying new, recommend you make a GTX 1050Ti 4GB a "must" inclusion, along with the 8GB RAM minimum energizer mentioned. 1TB HDD will do for starters. SSD can come later, will make a nice upgrade. Cheap case that will do the job. Semi-decent PSU (ask for advice before purchasing, lots of terrible ones still abound). Semi-decent motherboard (that will work with the processor), and then the rest on the best processor (with an included cooler) you can find, and a copy of Windows. Speaking of Windows - you can use it for free 30 days (without activation), and then after that buy a key and activate, in case you know you'll have extra funds for that later.

Something like:

Total: £528.69

If you shop around/ask for OcUK price-matching, might get it nearer the £500. Maybe even squeeze in a slightly better motherboard (the A320s aren't really recommended for more powerful processors, even though they will run on them as long as they are AM4 and 65W. A B350 would be better if you plan on upgrading processor at some point. Then again, a cheap A320 isn't a huge loss if you need to replace it when you replace processor, and can get a bit of money back flogging it.)

Intel Kabylake Pentium build is also a good option:

Total: £497.22

Can even start off with a 250GB SSD. Weaker processor compared to the Ryzen 5 1400 overall although its two cores may be slightly faster than the 1400's first two cores, after that the more cores an app uses/multitasking the 1400 will beat the G4560, but the B250 motherboard will handle any Kabylake (or Skylake) i5/i7 processor upgrade, just no overclocking.

TLDR; You should see better performance from the 1400 in most modern games, not all.

Avoid Corsair CX PSUs with green label on the side and 3 year warranty. You want grey label and 5 year warranty. Unless you find a good alternative to those.

Thanks for the advice mate, so if I go with the first option you suggested how difficult is it to assemble and is that everything I will need apart from peripherals ?
I plan on playing a whole mix of games, but I do like some of the newer like black ops 3 for example would this be able to run that ? And if so what quality would it run at ? Sorry about all the questions, I've always been on console, but I've decided to turn to pc ahaa

Soldato
Right, so you're going to need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse as well. You should budget an extra £100 or so for them. Do you need a headset or speakers?

Assuming you want a headphone set:

Total: £704.92
(includes shipping: £13.20)

I don't use mice, so can't recommend one, but they're a fiver or so for a cheap one.

Associate
OP
Right, so you're going to need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse as well. You should budget an extra £100 or so for them. Do you need a headset or speakers?

Assuming you want a headphone set:

Total: £704.92
(includes shipping: £13.20)

I don't use mice, so can't recommend one, but they're a fiver or so for a cheap one.
Thanks mate and
Do you know what quality if it would run something modern like black ops 3 ?

Soldato
At a budget of £500, for everything required Inc Windows, monitor, keyboard etc. You won't be pushing 60fps at a decent quality level. You're best option would be waiting for Xbox one X or upping the budget to around £800 imo unless you are willing to go second hand. The 1050ti is a pretty weak gpu and you would likely be thinking of an upgrade soon after purchase. I would look at a 1060/480 minimum.

Soldato
Budget is just for the tower I've managed to scavenge peripherals off a friend haha
In that case I would go with the Ryzen build posted above but would definitely try to upgrade the gpu to a 1060. Building the pc yourself isn't hard and there's plenty of YouTube videos that will show you how it's done.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice mate, so if I go with the first option you suggested how difficult is it to assemble and is that everything I will need apart from peripherals ?

Regular starhead (flat tip can also work) screwdriver (e.g. Phillips #2 or similar), slim handle better, short length better, to get into tight spaces. Although often some cases are just fine with a long one.

See if the monitor you've scavenged came with a cable to connect the video card to it.

If you only have a phone, borrowing a laptop will make the job of checking youtube videos and internet searching while you build a more pleasant experience.

Ground yourself by regularly touching the PSU casing, or the case (metallic part not plastic), with the PSU plugged into the wall. Stick the PSU into the case first thing so you can do this, obviously. Good thing to touch PSU or case when you're about to touch another component for the first time, like RAM, motherboard, processor etc. Watch videos on how to carefully hold a processor and place it into the socket. Try avoid building on top of a carpet.

If you happen to land two drives instead of one, just have the drive you want Windows on plugged in, not the other, till after you finish the install.

I plan on playing a whole mix of games, but I do like some of the newer like black ops 3 for example would this be able to run that ? And if so what quality would it run at ? Sorry about all the questions, I've always been on console, but I've decided to turn to pc ahaa

A GTX 1050 Ti would be ideal for demanding games at 1080p resolution/60-ish fps on medium graphics, which is what you said you wanted to aim for. I'm using a GTX 970 (like 1/3 or so faster) and high/ultra at 1080p isn't yet a problem, so there shouldn't be an issue on medium. Check out youtube videos of games you like + 1050Ti to see the performance (bearing in mind some will run the benchmarks on ultra not medium).

Having said that, a second-hand card that's more powerful might be worth it if you find a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom