1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New budget gaming rig

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by ExpiredGamer, 28 Jun 2019.

1. ExpiredGamer

Associate

Hello all,

I've been out of gaming for around 10 years and looking to get a system built and need some advice.

I'm out of touch with what's required these days. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just to be able to play games such as StarCraft, WoW / Classic, Fifa, Countstrike, COD, stuff like this. Probably a few other games once I get back into gaming and discover whats new.

I've been looking at some of the pre-builds on here but unsure if any upgrades to the systems would be needed. For example, I3 vs I5, is I3 good enough for gaming or for the extra cash is I5 worth the upgrade?

Can anyone recommend one of the pre-builds within a £800 max budget that will play what I need?

2. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

@ExpiredGamer

Perfecting timing... But just wait till the 9th ;)

2nd see the launch of Nvidia super cards which are an upgrade over current RTX and same pricing die to AMD releasing two cards ; RX5700 Pro and XT - released 7th .
    And the. You've got Ryzen 3000 launching on the 7th .

3. ExpiredGamer

Associate

I've seen a few other posts about the release next week so pricing will probably change next week too. Might get that little bit more for my money! :)

4. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Forget i3 and i5s, those are dead.

5. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Well , until end of year. Hopefully then i3 , i5 and i7 get their HT turned on *fingers crossed for the market *

6. ExpiredGamer

Associate

Hello again, Now the launch is here. I'm looking to place an order ASAP.

Per my original post, I'm not going to be a heavy gamer, just playing the titles mentioned. I can see some good deals on the AMD 2600 + B450, wondering if this could give me a decent setup or would it be worth getting something together with the 3600, would future proof me a little I guess?

My budget was originally £800, I can push this to £1000 but it would need to include a monitor.

I'm probably going to finance it and was looking at the prebuilds then amending the setup then upgrading the parts.

Looking at things I'm considering if it's worth getting parts together and asking for it to be built for me? Can that be done with the finance option?

I'll leave out Windows to save a little cash. I believe I can just install it from USB and try my luck with a code bought somewhere else.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

7. ExpiredGamer

Associate

Anyone able to help suggest something?

8. tamzzy

Capodecina

If you're playing older games, single core performance is king. So either intel or ryzen 3000. Would not recommend ryzen 2000 for your use case.

9. tamzzy

Capodecina

10. ExpiredGamer

Associate

11. tamzzy

Capodecina

Only thing is that the b450 board will require a bios update prior to be able to use a ryzen 3000 processor. But if you're getting ocuk to build it for you...shouldn't be a big issue.

12. ExpiredGamer

Associate

Thanks! I'll double check with ocuk if they'll do that, assume they will. Otherwise, from what I've been looking at over the last few days it won't be much of an issue to do. Seems pretty simple.

Thanks again.

13. Danny75

Sgarrista

Will that PSU be fine with just the one cable with two connectors for Vega 56? @tamzzy

14. tamzzy

Capodecina

Ah well spotted. In my defence...it said 4 connectors in the blurb. :( Probably a misprint.
    Just checked cooler master's website and indeed 550w has only 1 cable and 2 connectors...it's the 650w that has 2 cables and 4 connectors.
    In light of this...no, wouldn't recommend the 550w PSU. Get the 650w PSU instead.

15. tamzzy

Capodecina

16. Danny75

Sgarrista

Right, I saw the blurb and for a moment I thought wow four PCIe connectors that means two cables on a 550W, this PSU is fancy... lol.

17. tamzzy

Capodecina

I know right...would've made a neat budget PSU.

18. ExpiredGamer

Associate

19. tamzzy

Capodecina

the gpu, ram is weaker.
    don't know what motherboard it is...just says "b450"...so could be a really lousy bargain basement board...who knows?
    psu is certainly going to be the el-cheapo kolink no-name psu

other than that...i guess it's okay...

20. ExpiredGamer

Associate

Thanks @tamzzy I think I'm gonna go with your suggestion. Already had a quote for a build but seen that pre-build so thought I'd double check.