1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to PC building - where to start?

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by jdear, 22 Mar 2020.

1. jdear

Associate

Former console player, looking to get into PC gaming but I have absolutely no experience with building and a very limited understanding of parts needed for PCs, let alone which parts are "better".

I'm looking for some advice on where to start looking to improve my knowledge of building / parts as well as any recommendations for parts to use in a future build.

I have a budget of £1200, and would be looking to play games ranging from FPS to RTS. I'm not currently concerned about playing VR games.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. sweols

Hitman

Do you need the following
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Headset/speakers
    Screen
    Windows

3. jdear

Associate

Yes, I am starting entirely from scratch.

4. sweols

Hitman

Have you got access to a TV or similar? Otherwise I'd see about increasing your budget a tad. ~£1400. Better to get solid gear first time around, if you're able to spend that little bit extra

5. wookiee87

Wise Guy

next question do you prefer amd or intel, have freinds sugessted what might be better for you, plus what are you going to do whith a new machine, browsing, gaming or edditing or a combination of all?

6. jdear

Associate

I could go up to £1400 at the absolute maximum, provided that includes all required accessories

7. jdear

Associate

I had a friend suggest AMD as they are supposedly cheaper at each price point. In terms of use, I'd be looking at gaming primarily but of course also general day to day browsing and office work.

8. sweols

Hitman

9. BongoHunter

Wise Guy

10. EsaT

Sgarrista