New to PC gaming - what is right PC for me?

Associate
Hi

I've been playing games on PS3 and PS4 games for a while, but I've wanted to play games on PC desktop for a while now, mainly as I want to be able to use mods. Very shallow, I know! Thing is, I know absolutely nothing about gaming PCs, I don't understand specs, it just looks a jumble of numbers to my Dyslexic brain. I've researched and asked questions but I still don't understand specs so I feel like I'm scrabbling in the dark.

I specifically want to be able to play RPG games like Dragon's Age (Origins, DA: II, and Inquisition), Skyrim, Fallout 4 etc and be able to use mods with them, I'd also love to be able to play the upcoming games like Cyberpunk 2077 too on the PC.

I understand that cost can dictate what type you get, but I'm really just looking for a gaming PC that I can play both Dragon's Age Origins and Inquisition to Skyrim on it with mods without worrying about it crashing. Any suggestions as to what type of gaming PC (brand, model etc) I should be looking at? I would prefer not to spend more that £1000 if that's possible/reasonable. I am planning to use my TV as a monitor and my PS4 controller, so it's really just the gaming PC tower I'm looking for.

I would strongly prefer a pre-built one as I simply don't understand enough about PCs to build my own, and I just don't understand the mechanics of building one (believe me I've tried) and I'd like one that I can just unpack, plug in and play when I get it. Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome!

Jen

Soldato
Welcome Jen.

You'll need a basic keyboard and mouse to be sure. Even if you use the controller for gaming. And a HDMI cable to connect graphics card to the TV. As you're not getting a monitor which usually comes with one you'll need to have one/buy one.

Here's a start:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £920.18 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

OcUK could build this for you for around £1020. You'd have to enquire in the Customer Service Pre-Sales Queries forum for a precise quote.

It does not include Windows. Hopefully you'd be okay with installing it yourself to save £100 so more cash goes on actual hardware.

It has 32GB RAM based on the requirement to use assorted mods without crashing. It might not be necessary, depends on the mods and the games. It would just be nice to not to have to worry about that. In any case, installing more RAM is easy if you encounter an actual bottleneck there so you could cut costs if needed with 16GB.

Would you need Wifi? The above spec doesn't have it.

Soldato
@Jennie Wallace Hi and welcome to the forums!

A budget of £1000 will get you a decent tower, obviously the bigger the budget the better the machine. I would highly recommend building it yourself though, there are so many step by step guides and some really brilliant videos on Youtube from creators like Bitwit, Pauls Hardware and Jayztwocents. It seems daunting at first but honestly it's not difficult and you have all of us to offer support and guidence if you need it. It's also really rewarding.

Okay so my attempt, assuming you don't need a mouse and keyboard...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,088.18 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

So this will give you an SSD for Windows etc and your most played games, plus a 1tb SSHD for everything else. You will need to get yourself a Windows 10 key but if you have a look online you can find genuine keys elsewhere for around £10-£15.

If you do want OCuk to build it for you, start a thread in the Presales sub forum and they'll get back to you with a cost etc. That's found here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/pre-sales-queries.117/

Honestly though please consider building it yourself...

Soldato
With limited budget and frugal CPU standard single fan version with £21 price tag is enough.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html

The better the cooling, the longer it won't throttle without maintenance. Slightly overspecced cooler is useful in such situations where the user doesn't want to build, wants plug and play etc as it's unlikely they will carry out much maintenance themselves. That is the reason for the pick, as well as it doesn't add that much.

Back
Top Bottom