Newly Built Ryzen 3200g, Upgrade Already?

Associate
Hello everyone, long time forum stalker, first time poster.

I recently (Feb/March '20) built my first PC from the ground up. Up to this point I'd only ever upgraded existing systems that I'd owned.

Specs:
MSI B450M Mortar Max,
Ryzen 3200g with Stock AMD Cooler,
Game Boost on, sits at 4.05Ghz
ZTC 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD (for OS),
Adata 240GB SSD (Documents & Pics),
WD Blue 500GB HDD (Games),
8GB (x2 4GB) Hyper X Fury 3200Mhz DDR4,
Currently running at 3333Mhz,
CiT 550w PSU,
CiT Beam Mid Tower Case.

I have another 8GB of the Hyper X on order already, along with a 500GB SSD for my games instead of the HDD.

Actual question, I was considering getting an RX570 or a GTX 1650, as research seems to show good match of price and compatibility, but would these GPU's work well with any other 2nd Gen Ryzen? Obviously I got stung by building my system only recently under the impression that I could upgrade to Ryzen 3 later this year! It's not a deal breaker, this PC is still excellent for my needs at present. Seeing the benchmarks on YouTube, I'm thinking Ryzen 3300x, any suggestions?

My main use thus far has been CS:GO, just got GTA V free on Epic Games, Hunter Classic, Fallout Shelter and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Also used for work purposes!
Assetto Corsa is next on the list as I have a sim racing rig for the PS4 I'm going to move over to the PC.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Before you go adding a gpu get rid of that abysmal CiT psu and buy something of decent quality. CiT are bargain basement junk and that psu will never get anywhere near 550w and you would be lucky to get half of that on the all important 12v rail. The psu is argueably the single most important component in a pc and is not a place to save money so do yourself a favour and buy a good quality one. A cheap and nasty psu such as your CiT can have essential safety/protection features missing, will have weak 12v rails, are innefficient and when they fail, sometimes quite spectacularly, can kill other components. Never, ever skimp on the psu.

Associate
OP
Ok I will sort the PSU first, any recommendations on brand? I'm limited in what's available in the limited stores here in Ireland, so I am always slightly wary buying online because of the hassle of shipping parts back in case of warranty issues. I always preferred buying in person (also I'm impatient waiting for online orders) :D

Man of Honour
How much would you like to spend? Are you happy with fixed cables or would you like removeable (modular) cables? Recommending a brand can be problematic as quality varies across most (Seasonic included). There are a lot of out of stock PSU's pretty much everywhere at the moment due to the current restrictions so choice is limited at the moment.

Associate
OP
That was the problem I had in the first place, that was the only 80+ Bronze Rated PSU I could get at the time that wasn't out of stock. Modular would have course be brilliant for cable management but the cit case has a full psu compartment down below so cables are hidden fully so that's not as big an issue. To be honest I thought I had a decent PSU given the rating and reviews I read but if not then I'm willing to replace it! I'll research some more over the weekend. Budget wise I was looking up to 100 euro pounds or equivelant of each as top end due to this computers mild use.
This was always going to be a budget build and will definatley stay that way now given no Ryzen 3rd Gen will be supported on the B450 (not yet at least). I was going to just slap an rx570 in there to help the CPU out in some titles. I didn't have the money for a GPU at the time so a Ryzen APU made a lot of sense, and given we have all been stuck home I have had significantly less outgoings and have enough saved to get the GPU now rather than waiting until end of the year which was the original plan!

I had plans for a 1000-1500 eSports iracing assetto Corsa SIM rig build next year keeping this as a workstation for the family.

I appreciate all the input folks :D

Soldato
In priority order for gaming upgrades I would go Gpu > CPU > ram. As pastymucher said a new psu is also a good idea but choices are a bit thin, either of these would do though with the 650w being a bit more future proof if you want to drop in 12/16 core CPU in a few years with a high end gpu.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £186.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Man of Honour
Sadly there is very little choice in psu's on here at the moment but Joxeon has suggested two very good units. Both are gold rated and fully modular and both have 7 year warranties. The Seasonic is more than enough for your 3200G and a RX570 and even for a 3600/3600x should you decide to upgrade the cpu at some point. If however you decide to go for a higher core count cpu or even more powerful gpu in future get the Superflower for the extra 150w. It is also worth hunting around at other retailers because some have stock of psu's that OCUK doesn't.

When buying a psu ignore user ratings in the retailers own site because most, OCUK included, do not allow and negative reviews to be displayed. Also users cannot bench a psu and all they can say is that it works or doesn't work. For proper reviews check sites such as Jonnyguru, Techpowerup and Kitguru. This site is a excellent resource for information on psu's and links to reviews.

Back
Top Bottom