** NOW EVERYONE CAN ENJOY PCI-E NVMe/AHCI SSD's!! **

OcUK Staff
OP

I will ask my systems guy why they are not options. :)
With any system if a customer contacts us we can normally make changes to specification without issue. :)

Soldato
Just modded my bios file (MVG) using that guide.

Had a check in MMTOOL4 and The 3 NVME modules are inserted.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t124/freddie1964/MVG%20NVME_zpsuflpanhq.png[/IMG

If the bios update fails, is it easy to revert to my original bios?

Will get me one these drives for Xmas and have a tinker if the bios works. ;)

Also how hot does it run and do you have to have any cooling for it?[/QUOTE]

I've never had to flash a dead motherboard if I'm honest, my current board has dual BIOS so it was relatively risk free when flashing it.

AS for heat I'm not sure on temperatures as openhardware doesn't recognise the drive other than 'generic hard disk'. But it is hot to touch after some heavy use.

[quote="Rab, post: 28849119"]@sunlitsix, good find, have a z77 board as well, still runs well with my 2600k.
bios easy to modify?
is speed really noticeable over ssd ?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was easy to modify following the guide that I linked to, saying that I have modified the BIOS before. It is very noticeable from boot to the installation and starting of Apps, almost instantaneous opening stuff such as Photoshop and Sony movie studio. Yet to try a game on it though.

[quote="Troezar, post: 28849388"]I guess no one had tried this on a P67 board yet?[/QUOTE]

[quote="ademcg, post: 28849539"]tinkering with bios worries me a little....especially on the P68 Asrock :/[/QUOTE]

The guide says it should work on 6 series chipsets and above, the tinkering of the BIOS itself is risk free, the only risk comes in when flashing it to the motherboard.

I did a quick overview of the two items here:

[MEDIA=youtube]Motde8LXMKQ[/MEDIA]

OcUK Staff
OP
Logitech wheels? Surely the G29/ G920 would be pretty good sellers? The equivalent Thrustmaster which you stock (300 TRS) doesn't get a great press for reliability, nor does TM customer support.

We want Logitech and are always trying to get it but stock is either not available or we could simply buy it from PC World for less than what we can buy it for from distribution. I know one of my purchasers has being working months on trying to resolve it with no luck, he is still hopeful.

Any other products?

PAD

PAD

Associate
is their a place I can read about these cards, or why I want one? I have a 250gig ssd at mo but I will be looking at getting a new one soon.

from what I read, I buy ssd, I get this and its faster? is that the basic or do I need to understand more?

OcUK Staff
OP
Gentle typhoon? It is better than Vardar, is it not? Cheers

Unfortunately we cannot get them any more. :(

The recent special edition fan Rich did a couple of weeks ago in partnership with Linus was based on a Gentle Typhoon I believe, grab one of those if there are any left. :)

Soldato
is their a place I can read about these cards, or why I want one? I have a 250gig ssd at mo but I will be looking at getting a new one soon.

from what I read, I buy ssd, I get this and its faster? is that the basic or do I need to understand more?

You have to purchase an M.2 card to use with this adapter, a regular SSD cannot be plugged into it.

Unfortunately we cannot get them any more. :(

The recent special edition fan Rich did a couple of weeks ago in partnership with Linus was based on a Gentle Typhoon I believe, grab one of those if there are any left. :)

Nidec will still produce them, you just have to buy them in bulk (10k IIRC? or I just made that up :p) there is a watercooling company in the US who has stock of his own Gentle Typhoons in black. I've found them in the UK aswell, exactly the same 1850RPM fan just with a different model number.

OcUK Staff
OP
You have to purchase an M.2 card to use with this adapter, a regular SSD cannot be plugged into it.

Nidec will still produce them, you just have to buy them in bulk (10k IIRC? or I just made that up :p) there is a watercooling company in the US who has stock of his own Gentle Typhoons in black. I've found them in the UK aswell, exactly the same 1850RPM fan just with a different model number.

Your pretty much spot on, 10k volume, something we are unwilling to do at present. I know RJK is looking into things so maybe something will happen next year. :)

Soldato
So....keeping in mind the mobo I have ( specs below) what M.2 SSD would I be looking to go for please ? :)

oh and would I need the adapter too ?

The specs for your motherboard say M.2 PCIe 2x, so you can put one of the M.2 cards straight into the motherboard and it will boot no problem. But it won't run at full speed though as NVMe is a fairly new standard and uses PCIe 3.0 4x for full bandwidth.

SO for full speed from an NVMe you will need an adapter like this.

Associate
I have a Z97 board, with an M.2 slot, but using the M.2 disables the last two SATA ports, and the M.2 only has PCIe 2.0 x2 going to it.

If I purchased this, I could put it in my 3rd PCIe x16 slot, and run it at PCIe 2.0 x4 without disabling my two SATA ports.

Does the fact that it's a z97 board mean I will automatically be able to boot from an NVMe drive, or will I have to do BIOS mods?

Edit: Ignore me, if I use the 3rd x16 slot as x4 then I lose all the other PCIe x1 slots and can't have my 2nd NIC anymore. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Feel free to call me a numpty but where do you even plug in one of these fancy Samsung SSDs? I have nothing on my motherboard that even slightly resembles the slot I need for one of those :eek:

Back
Top Bottom