• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX3060 review thread

Soldato
Asus

EVGA

Gainward

Galaxy

Gigabyte

KFA2

Inno3D

MSI

Palit

Zotac

Group Tests

Last edited:
Associate
I see faces cringing in the youtube videos.

Will study later.

In a nutshell:

-Performance is almost the same as the 2060
-If you want a good card, travel 4-5 years back in time and buy yourself a 1060.

For me, it is disappointing even if it had a price of 300£... but we all know they are gonna go for 450£ or more...

Soldato
OP
In a nutshell:

-If you want a good card, travel 4-5 years back in time and buy yourself a 1060.

For me, it is disappointing even if it had a price of 300£... but we all know they are gonna go for 450£ or more...

In newer games it seems more like an RTX2070 or a tad better. RT performance is closer to an RTX2070 Super.

Edit!!

But the issue is the street price - the rainforest site had it at £400 already last night! :(

Soldato
In a nutshell:

According to the Guru3D and Techpowerup reviews it's about on par with a 2070S/5700XT for any moderately new game.

Associate
I'm seriously needing a GPU to complete my first PC build and I think I am willing to pay a bit over the odds if it means I can get a 3060, however, as I am all fairly new to this, can anyone explain to me what the difference is between all the variants you can see? For example, you have ZOTAC, MSI, GIGABYTE etc. what does this mean?

Is it cosmetic or is there likely to be any serious performance differences between the different models? Should I simply be looking to get the version with the highest clock speed? I appreciate the chances of me getting one are slim, I just would like to be a little better informed what the different variants mean. Any help would be appreciated.

Soldato
Seems like a pretty underwhelming card for the price. On par with a 2060 Super and will cost the same sort of money as a 2060 Super did before the current situation. And there's not even any FE to give you a chance of getting a decent model at a decent price. It would have been a far more appealling prospect at £250.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm seriously needing a GPU to complete my first PC build and I think I am willing to pay a bit over the odds if it means I can get a 3060, however, as I am all fairly new to this, can anyone explain to me what the difference is between all the variants you can see? For example, you have ZOTAC, MSI, GIGABYTE etc. what does this mean?

Is it cosmetic or is there likely to be any serious performance differences between the different models? Should I simply be looking to get the version with the highest clock speed? I appreciate the chances of me getting one are slim, I just would like to be a little better informed what the different variants mean. Any help would be appreciated.
The performance difference isn't worth worrying about whatsoever. It'll be in the 5% or less range between the fastest card out of the box and the slowest, and you can easily just overclock a lower end model to match. The difference between different models will be things like noise, temperatures, looks, warranty length, etc. You should take whatever you can get if you want one though with the way things are. It's unlikely any model will be so aggressively bad you should avoid it at all costs.

Associate
The performance difference isn't worth worrying about whatsoever. It'll be in the 5% or less range between the fastest card out of the box and the slowest, and you can easily just overclock a lower end model to match. The difference between different models will be things like noise, temperatures, looks, warranty length, etc. You should take whatever you can get if you want one though with the way things are. It's unlikely any model will be so aggressively bad you should avoid it at all costs.

Thank you, that has really helped me.

Associate
In newer games it seems more like an RTX2070 or a tad better. RT performance is closer to an RTX2070 Super.

Edit!!

But the issue is the street price - the rainforest site had it at £400 already last night! :(

I was after a 3070 myself, so I'm not considering the 3060 as an option even... might have given it a go as I really need to update my GPU, but definitely not at this price...

I hope it doesn't attract interest from miners at least, so gamers buy them and the rest of us might have a chance of upgrading at some point.

Associate

Probably too late for you to make an informed decision if the 3060's have dropped or about to, but I found this youtube video 'Which RTX 3060ti to buy and avoid' very useful to gauge the different brands of the 3060ti and why some are better than others. I'd imagine it would act as a decent guide to what to expect with the 3060's.

As others have pointed out the difference in cost is mostly due to different designs, some come with two fans, others three. Then there is noise ( two fans likely to be louder than 3 ) etc. Other things to watch out for is to double check the length and height of the card to ensure it fits as well as power requirements/leads - though i suspect the 3060 wont be as hungrey or demanding as others.

From what i'm seeing i'd try and grab a 3060ti if any drop at the same time as prices may not be hugely more and I think the boost in performance might be worth it at least for gaming, for productivity a 3060 with 12GB vram may be better.

Be prepared to pay a premium , choose the price you are comfortable with and grab a card as fast as you can, otherwise they will likely be gone. Pretty sure I remember Gibbo saying they aren't even releasing 3060's today on OCUK, and will hold back for a few weeks until they have sufficient stock.

Back
Top Bottom