Strix B550-F Gaming - RAM issue?

Associate
EDIT:
Subject changed as the issue seems to be around RAM atm lol.
See post no #6 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34052096

Original post.
--------------
Hi All,
Had been tearing my hair out tonight, trying to install Win10 of a USB drive with the following setup:

Ryzen 5 3600
ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi
16GB 3200Mhz Team RAM
GTX1650S
WD Blue 1TB NVMe

I created the Win10 USB by using Media Creator ISO file, that I've put on an USB stick (USB 2.0, oldie but goodie) with Rufus Tool so all should have been set up correctly.
I had also done the same with a USB 3.0 caddy that has a SSD fitted (brand new), with exact same method.

In both cases after setting BIOS up to boot from USB device, which can be found (showing as UEFI OS in Boot Menu) it seems that I only get fans just spin up for a sec and then board reboots and completes POST.
Ive tried:
Fast boot disabled
CSM Enabled, with UEFI and Legacy Boot Control, all options set to UEFI.
Secure boot set to UEFI, PK state unloaded (I deleted the PK key).

Ive updated the BIOS to the latest 1004 version and still no luck.

I had enough fun after the board fail to boot properly after setting RAM stick to work at 3200MHz, for some reason it didn't like it a lot.
Current setup is Ai Overclock Tuner on DOCP set to the only profile available, Mem Frequency set to DDR4-3200MHz, Asus Performance Enhancement Off, all the rest to Auto, other than DRAM Voltage set to 1.35V.

Any ideas?
What could I have missed?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you try the Windows media creation tool to make the usb instead, let it download the iso and do everything automatically.

If you get instability can you try with the memory at JEDEC spec (no profile loaded). It can boot and appear to be ok but once windows setup etc.. starts an incompatible or non-optimised memory module could flake out. I've had numerous sticks that were quite ok to run xmp speeds on Intel fail to work or work stably with DOCP on AMD enabled. Sometimes tweaking settings and voltages worked, sometimes i just gave up and got AMD optimised/certified RAM.

Associate
OP
Main culprit so far had been getting the windows install.
I will try with default JEDEC spec to begin with.
I had WMC tool also setup the SSD in the caddy as the usb stick so not sure. Faulty USB stick?

EDIT. I can boot the Win install on USB flash drive or USB caddy on my older machine (Z68 Extreme4 +2500K) so everything points to the setup in BIOS, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you using the front ports? Try the rear usb 2.0 ports (black) or the 'red' port. I think i built a system with this board and it disabled my wireless keyboard once i entered BIOS when it was on the usb 3 ports but worked fine with the 2.0 ports, maybe its doing the same to your stick and its dropping out?

Associate
Not sure if this will help you, but when I have had to boot off a USB for my X470 I've always gone into the BIOS and selected the USB EFI file to boot from (I think it needs the Rufus boot?)

Associate
OP
So.. now I am suspecting MOBO or RAM issue somewhere.
Had been trying to get the damn thing to boot and POST properly in following sequence.
- Memory out, CPU and GPU in. Boot. Mobo can't find sticks and stops at RAM check (shown by QLED diagnostics).
- 1 stick in - hard reboot, can get it to POST and enter BIOS, comes up with 2400Mhz default. Load defaults, save and reboot.
- seems like a POST bootloop, however if I do a soft reset it POSTS and boots into BIOS.
Same happens if I load DCOP for 3200Mhz config.

Unfortunately I haven't got another DDR4 stick to check this with.

Associate
I've just had a look and the memory I use in my rig is also on your rig's QVL list, so we could try that?

Where are you based? I'm in the south of the UK.

Is this an option for you?

EDIT: I also have Windows 10 1909 (EFI boot) installer on a USB stick so I could also bring that with me?

Associate
OP
Interestingly, this set of Vulcan Z I got is not on the QVL list...
I'd never expect that poor compatibility, if the type, speed etc is common to what you normally buy.

I've got the 3200MHZ LPX set coming, that is in QVL list, but it won't turn up until Sunday.

I'm just a bit south from Gatwick (20min) near A24.

Associate
Interestingly, this set of Vulcan Z I got is not on the QVL list...
I'd never expect that poor compatibility, if the type, speed etc is common to what you normally buy.

I've got the 3200MHZ LPX set coming, that is in QVL list, but it won't turn up until Sunday.

I'm just a bit south from Gatwick (20min) near A24.
Smidge over 1 hour 30 mintues away then. To be honest, this is why I always check the QVL list "just in case".

Mite be worth trying to update the bios before you sent the ram back.
That very much depends on whether OP can get into the BIOS or not

Associate
Apologies for going over the start, but I've just had a re-read of your original post.

I take it you was trying to get the memory to do an overclock (or get the memory to the speed it should be using)?

Was the PC working ok on stock settings (ie before the OC)?

Have you tried turning off any AI overclock?

Associate
OP
Apologies for going over the start, but I've just had a re-read of your original post.

I take it you was trying to get the memory to do an overclock (or get the memory to the speed it should be using)?

Was the PC working ok on stock settings (ie before the OC)?

Have you tried turning off any AI overclock?

I had checked this tonight, as I was thinking maybe Im expecting too much, but I cant save settings and run the stick(s) at even full auto, or at lower setting (say 1600Mhz from pre-selection).
Whenever I pick settings and save in BIOS, I cant POST. After doing case button reset, it will POST and I can go into BIOS and see setting allegedly working (for example new speeds set). I save and exit and end up not being able to POST again.
So my original assumption that getting the Win10 USB stick to start up was a problem is not the case anymore... Gonna change title for this.

Soldato
Most ram work that are not on the qvl list and updated bios usually resolves that as they add support for more ram.

Think you've been extremely unlucky if it is compatabilty.

Honestly with Ryzen its a bit more finicky and like i said RAM that will do its rated xmp on Intel will fail to run on Ryzen in a lot of cases. I've used a lot of boards and RAM and most times end up getting 'optimised' ram or QVL RAM to save headaches.

Associate
OP
Almost sounds like another case of Asus strikes again (going by this similar sounding post): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-build-problem.18901330/#post-34025202

As I said, I could come over with my PC and USB Win 10 stick and see if we can get down to the bottom of it, but then if you also have new RAM arriving on Sunday is it really worth it?

Hmm.

It was very kind offer, thanks. Especially that the PC is meant to go to Uni with friend's daughter next week. He managed to order a set that was due Sun, but somehow out for delivery today so will have an extra RAM to check this with.

Associate
It was very kind offer, thanks. Especially that the PC is meant to go to Uni with friend's daughter next week. He managed to order a set that was due Sun, but somehow out for delivery today so will have an extra RAM to check this with.
That's some good liuck right there! Hopefully the memory will arrive at a sensible time.

Hopefully the new memory should solve it if it is on the QVL list (I'm certainly hoping so).

Be sure to let us know what happens

Back
Top Bottom