Stulid Tested all of OcUK Thermal Paste Range

Associate
I too would like to see a comparison with the thermal grizzly kyronaut and now particularly the carbonaut thermal pad. The carbonnaut has much better thermal conductivity especially if clamped down hard (like on a cpu).
the reviews that I have seen between kryonaut and the carbonaut always show that kryonaut gives lower cpu temps despite being less thermally conductive. apparently it is due to how they measure the thermal conductivity of the carbonaut (horizontally rather than longitudinally).

Associate
This is a good review, although outdated at this point.
I am looking for some new Paste, for my upgrade build.
MX4 or the NT-H1 are the one's I'm looking at.
Is there a preference?
I was considering both the mx4 and NT-H1 or 2 recently but after looking at reviews I went back to some more kryonaut despite risking scratching my cpu.

Soldato
I think it's all much of a muchness..
I've used AS5, MX4, kryonought, Noctua and thermalright pate over the years.
What you really need is good airflow rather than getting too concerned about TIM.

Edit.. In fact my best results have been with AS5.. But that's very subjective and it's a long time since I've used it, and on a much older machine.

Edit: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-silver-5-thermal-compound-3.5g-ac-000-ac.html

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's all much of a muchness..
I've used AS5, MX4, kryonought, Noctua and thermalright pate over the years.
What you really need is good airflow rather than getting too concerned about TIM.

Edit.. In fact my best results have been with AS5.. But that's very subjective and it's a long time since I've used it, and on a much older machine.

Edit: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-silver-5-thermal-compound-3.5g-ac-000-ac.html
I agree, good case airflow makes way more difference than what TIM is used .. But that's only half the battle. Getting good TIM print, IE having a good match-up of cooler base on CPU IHS is equally important yet usually over looked. These newer CPU with wider layout of smaller hi-heat chips makes cooler to CPU mating even more critical. Good TIM print / good mating can be 10c, sometimes even more. Problem is it's not easy to lap cooler base and even harder to lap IHS.

Back in it's AS5 8.9W/mK was one of he best. Top tier TIMs are now 9-15W/mK and of course liquid metal pastes are around 80 W/mk. But at the end of the day all of the top TIMs are within 6-7c with good cooler base to IHS mating.

Soldato
6-7c difference is only important if CPU is running near throttle temp. If CPU is running at 40-50c under light load and 60c under heavy load, 6-7c isn't an issue. 6-7c difference in CPU temp if it's running 85-90c under heavy load is critical difference. ;)

Every degree change in air temp entering cooler is same degree change in CPU temp at same fan speed and cpu load. So if air entering case is being pre-heated by 6-7c above ambient before reaching and entering cooler than CPU will be running 6-7c hotter. I've seen gaming systems with bad airflow with airflow entering cooler when gaming being 20-30c higher than room ambient. That's why setting up case airflow is such an important consideration that many don't deal with properly.

Associate
I have used a lot of different thermal interface materials over the years and was a die hard Arctic MX-4 (the genuine stuff) proponent for many years until I tried Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (around 2016/17 from memory) which I found to consistently give lower temperatures both at idle & under load with both AIO's & air coolers. I have recently (past couple of years) been trying to save a bit of money & tried the Noctua NT-H1/NT-H2 compounds which I have to admit spread much easier (& more forgiving to a heavy hand when spreading evenly across a IHS) and are well within a small 1-2C margin for any CPU (barring 'on-the-edge' overclocked) that I have used them on under load compared to Kryonaut. I still like to use Kryonaut on my own systems but if friends or family need their CPU repasting, I will reach for the Noctua (whichever one I have the most of TBH!) stuff as they won't notice the small difference in performance.

Back
Top Bottom