Two New Gaming Builds

Associate
Hi All,

I last posted here 5+ years ago when I built my last computer and I've been thinking it is time to finally upgrade/start again. My partner is also wanting to upgrade their computer too.

Current (rough) builds are near identical:

Core i5 4670k
MSI Z87-G65
8GB (2v4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
XFX Pro 750w Black Edition
1TB HDD
240GB SSD
2x U2412M monitors
H80i CPU Cooler
Sapphire Vapor-x 7950 (partner just got a RX 590 Nitro+ Gold as last GPU died)
Zalman Z11+

Now my build can run most things (sort of) on medium graphics to 60 fps, games like destiny when you're fighting does cause it to slow down but it manages games like LoL, Anno etc ok enough.

I would like to be able to max out MOBAs as well as start playing Star Citizen when it (finally) comes out, or else stick to playing multiple clients of EVE online...

My partner tends to play more CPU than GPU intensive games (read Minecraft with a billion mods and KSP with all the mods...) and will be moving onto KSP2 later on, but also likes to play most strategy games (CIV etc) and some AAA.

Budget £2k for each computer (£4k total). Screens are the moment are 1080p (or 1920x1200 in the case of my screens) and I'm not sure if our budgets will stretch to a 4k gaming computer with monitors, they may have to wait for a few months later.

What would you suggest component wise in terms of either upgrading or starting from scratch (I could probs go for a quieter slightly less in your face case). Full build advice would be v welcome as I've not kept up to date with all the latest releases.

Soldato
You have plenty of budget for monitors. Just transplant your SSDs and HDDs. In fact, you could keep your cases & PSUs too. So all you need is just the innards, something like

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £997.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

The Ryzen comes with an adequate CPU cooler, but you can do better - which CPU cooler you should get depends upon which case you get.

For monitors, keep your current monitors as secondaries and look at these three for your main monitors:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £3,070.71 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Back
Top Bottom