What 4k monitor would you recommend to go with the gtx 1080 ti

Associate
OP
Budget would be around £700 but dont mind going a little over. what size should i go with, the bigger the better but im not bothered with wide screen (or curved) would 1440p be a better option?

Soldato
Budget would be around £700 but dont mind going a little over. what size should i go with, the bigger the better but im not bothered with wide screen (or curved) would 1440p be a better option?

I have an ASUS PB287Q 28" 1ms 4K monitor running on an ASUS Strix GTX 1070 8gb OC, it does 60fps in every game ive thrown at it, plenty big enough, I really wouldn't want to go any bigger than this, have it hanging off the wall right in front of me, and I love it :D Can be picked up for £350, shop around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEMvkNSmXSY&t=389s

Associate
I have an ASUS PB287Q 28" 1ms 4K monitor running on an ASUS Strix GTX 1070 8gb OC, it does 60fps in every game ive thrown at it, plenty big enough, I really wouldn't want to go any bigger than this, have it hanging off the wall right in front of me, and I love it :D Can be picked up for £350, shop around.

Was he wearing that hat for a bet? :D

Associate

I have that monitor,lovely.

Soldato
Now is not actually a good time to be buying a 4K monitor. I am expecting there to be refreshes later this year with HDMI 2.1 and thus variable refresh rate and I would not be surprised if the HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade were just a BIOS update.

Soldato
Now is not actually a good time to be buying a 4K monitor. I am expecting there to be refreshes later this year with HDMI 2.1 and thus variable refresh rate and I would not be surprised if the HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade were just a BIOS update.
And yet it's probably a BIOS update that won't be offered to existing owners. Worth saying :)

Associate
I have the Acer XR382CQK which is a 37.5” 3840x1600 monitor that has a 75Hz refresh rate and 21:9 aspect ratio with FreeSync support. I think it’s an excellent buy, especially when compared to the identical LG38UC99 with which it shares a panel.

Personally I think 4K gaming monitors in general are a waste of money, if you want high refresh rates of 100Hz+ then the technology is not there yet from a GPU perspective. Given the TITAN V struggles to give 60Hz+ in Ultra quality settings on AAA titles you’ll start to understand why!

Also the recently released 4K 144Hz HDR monitors cannot actually support the HDR10 standard beyond 120Hz without using chroma sub-sampling, basically not using a full 10-bit colour input, you’ll start to understand why the technology just isn’t there yet.

There are some good reviews by Linus Tech Tips amongst others that go into a lot of detail on this. The real sweet spot is 1440p ultrawide gaming right now, but even this requires a really good GPU.

Caporegime
I was considering a 4K monitor to replace my triple screen surround setup and in the end settled on an LG 43” 4K HDR tv instead, fantastic picture quality, gaming or watching films and massively cheaper than an equivalent monitor.

I’ve fed a Sky cable to it so I can watch satellite TV as well when I’m not using the PC.

Love it.

Soldato

Thanks to the high dpi games look vastly better. Thanks to higher resolution you can see more in the virtual distance - this is particularly noticeable in games with sniper rifles or binoculars. Thanks to both you need fewer performance-sapping technologies like anti-aliasing.

Back
Top Bottom