1080p system for my lad?

Soldato
So my lad has just turned 11 and is struggling at school due to add but has really been trying. I've promised him that if he keeps trying I'll get him one of the new consoles when they get released as he's really getting into gaming.

However he's asked if he could maybe have a gaming pc (I'm so proud) so am thinking of building him a 1080p machine. He plays games like No man's sky, the isle, Ark and minecraft etc.

I don't have a set budget in mind but around new console prices would be great if possible. Just wanting best bang for buck we can have fun building together. Won't need monitor or peripherals or OS.

What do you guys recommend?

Soldato
Certainly will be hard to match consoles in hardware per price.
But at least CPU could be upgraded later when Zen2s or Zen3s are in discount as old models.

First gen/Zen(1) Ryzens would be cheap.
3400G would have better Zen+ architecture and more clocks, but just four cores would be handicap in heavier games.
For mobo Asrock B450(m) Pro4 would be starting level, then MSI B450s.
(Asus and Gigabytes at that price level have garbage VRMs)

Soldato
I would consider an msi b450 with 2nd gen processor. Plenty of options in 2 years time to go to a 3600x or better if he saves his pennies.

Get a nice 980ti or 10xx 2nd hand of MM perhaps.

Caporegime
1060 6GB is still a good 1080p card as is an AMD 580. TBH I'd hit up the MM and get an intel 3/4/5 series i5, 16GB Ram and an SSD. If all he wants to do is play Fortnite it'll still run really well.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
1060 6GB is still a good 1080p card as is an AMD 580. TBH I'd hit up the MM and get an intel 3/4/5 series i5, 16GB Ram and an SSD. If all he wants to do is play Fortnite it'll still run really well.

No playing that ***** here! My nephew went off the deep end playing that and smashed his tv.

Will certainly look on the members market for some good deals but it's good to get ideas on new stuff.

Associate
One of my lads has happily rocked those mentioned games with an old Z97 system ising an old i3 cpu, 8gb of memory and a 1050ti.

Another with a G3258, 16gb of memory and an AMD 580.

My personal opinion is get the latest motherboard chipset with best future options and take high spec builds with a pinch of salt as the majority never reach potential or by the time they are fully utilised can be matched by newer cheaper components.

Associate
Recently built a machine for my nephew for much the same reasons as you have listed for your son. It comprised:

• MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard;
  • Ryzen 5 2600 with wraith stealth cooler;
  • MSI GTX 1660;
  • 16GB RAM (2x8GB) @ 3200; and
  • 550W PSU.
This layout provides much more current processing power for both games and any other interests he may develop and also allows a future upgrade path for processor or graphics card updates without needing a new motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom