• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TwsT's 1700 vs 1800x comparison (warning large screenshots)

Soldato
Right so spent the morning and most of the afternoon as promised trying to get a rounded feel of both CPU's with the objective of proving that at matched settings the 1700 and 1800x are practically the same.

So first up the parts I used

The settings for both and the pit...

OG3ekofl.png m42tvigl.png jGGZMuul.jpg.png

Voltages are a bit over recommended because I couldn't get the 1800x to do what it is told :)

but they are achieved by putting 1.5 in the bios and then load line calibration at max
1.45 is just a no go for 4.0 @ 3000 on the 1800x it's early days any number of factors could be causing the issues.

The raw screen shots are in the imgur link at the bottom these are edited together to show the bench marks should have used 1080p with hindsight.

bEg3c7E.png

1800x

sCf8NVt.png

As you can see the difference seems to favour the 1700 but only marginally it would appear that the 1800x is a great chip if you just want to set the memory clock and let XFR do it's thing, but you can if you want to save some money on a cpu and spend some time get similar performance from a 1700 maybe in a few days when people have had a chance to play with their parts we will have a bigger picture.

other things worth mentioning are the super flower 550w i was using had no problem with the system averaging 200w power draw upto 300w in gaming W

Link to full album is here
http://imgur.com/a/Cz2Di

Soldato
OP
well you would need a more expensive board to milk the 1700 so it's a trade off, stock 1800x on a cheap board with w/e memory the board can do and you have 0 fuss.

but the lower tdp on the 1700 is certainly inviting imo

Soldato
downside of having a massive screen i suppose.

good to know, didn't want to get moaned at for using someones bandwidth :D

If you wanna see it in action, shrink the browser window, the forum will dynamically resize itself and shrink images as needed. It's a really cool feature, was impressed with it :)

Soldato
well you would need a more expensive board to milk the 1700 so it's a trade off, stock 1800x on a cheap board with w/e memory the board can do and you have 0 fuss.

but the lower tdp on the 1700 is certainly inviting imo

To a point but it also appears that of course you get other benefits of being able to spend the extra on the mobo like connectivity, leds (joking) but yeah general other things, with the difference as well you can hold onto the better board for longer and drop in a newer AM4 chip later, the later option with cheaper boards would likely mean you want to buy both again.

I think the ability to 3.9GHz on medium level boards will be the case though, it seems ram is the bigger issue (at least till the bios updates happen) with different boards than the OC of the CPU.

Certainly a balance to be had. It still as you say though has the lower tdp and voltage levels to get there as well.

Associate
Took me ages to decide between the 1700 and 1700x, I went for the 1700x and now beginning to wonder if this was a wise choice

Yeah I'm reading a lot of things now saying the 1700 is best overall, including 8Pack saying this.

Maybe I should swap from GB Gaming 5 + 1700X, to GB Gaming K7 + 1700.

Associate
As soon as I read that all 3 chips were the same except for the clock speed, common sense instantly suggested that the 1700 would be the best chip to go for. Having a much better motherboard and clocking the chip up, is a much wiser choice than buying the 1800X and a lower board, because you get the benefit of all the extra features on the higher end board. What do you get with the 1800X + lower board? Nothing, except the convenience of dropping the chip in the board and switching it on...
Glad I made the right choice and went with the 1700 + Crosshair

Back
Top Bottom