8700k upgrade help for VR gaming

Associate
Hi guys,

Currently running an i5 rig which is feeling the burn a little so I'm after treating myself to an 8700k now they appear to be more available. I mainly play VR games and I have an MSI 1080 Gaming X so I don't need a graphics card.

I'm looking for CPU, Mobo, RAM (16Gb) and the best AIO for my NZXT H440 case.

I've always had ASUS mobo's but I'm not against trying something new, but that said there is the ASUS promo at the moment and that ROG Hero X would look very nice in my case unless there's something better for less.

Budget wise I don't have a number in mind of what I want, but I'm certainly mindful that I'll be looking at £500-£800+?

Looking for some suggestions on getting the most for my upgrade money guys and the only thing I know for sure is the CPU, 8700k.

I wouldn't mind overclocking at some point though so please bear that in mind.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Soldato

Associate
Hi mate. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding RAM. Is there any major performance difference between 3200mhz and 3000? I see a lot of suggestions for 3000 that's all.

Are there any suggestions for alternative mobo, or with the Asus discount at the moment, does it make the hero the best choice right now?

Is there any benefit of having the Kraken NZXT water-cooled solution with it being an NZXT case? Or is the corsair better performing?

Many thanks

Soldato
@8 Pack ram kit with a board like that, just rude not to push a board and cpu hard

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £238.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Hit 4000hz nicely on Aorus/GIgabte board with the above- workstation wise, yeah faster speeds see gains when your rendering a piece of work that takes 5 days- helps shave off a few hours .
Gaming wise, i've found min frame rates are higher 3-6FPS- depends. not much, but when your gaming at 4k on a 60hz monitor and 1080ti maintains 40fps average, its nice to know you wont have as low frame rate drops. Just my personal experience . I wouln't go buy a 4000hz kit, bu if a cheaper 3200 kit can do it, i'd do it for the love of it :)

Soldato
I went with the ID cooling AIO RGB 240mm, idle is about 25-27 degc (depending on room temp) load on AC origins maxed out after hours of play @ 4.7-4.9 is approx 63-65 degc.

The system doesn't even break a sweat in VR. My Ram is 3300 in XMP.

Soldato
Hi mate. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding RAM. Is there any major performance difference between 3200mhz and 3000? I see a lot of suggestions for 3000 that's all.

Are there any suggestions for alternative mobo, or with the Asus discount at the moment, does it make the hero the best choice right now?

Is there any benefit of having the Kraken NZXT water-cooled solution with it being an NZXT case? Or is the corsair better performing?

Many thanks

Not much difference between 3000 and 3200. The 3200 kit is the same price as the cheapest 3000 kit though so might as well go with it.

I personally prefer Gigabyte as I have pretty much always used their boards. The Gaming 7 would be an equivalent to the Maximus Hero. You also get UK warranty support with Gigabyte and a Forum rep.

No benefit having the Kraken unless you want the same brand cooler/case. The Corsair should be on par with most other high end 280mm coolers. It is also £30 cheaper than the X62. If you want a quieter liquid cooler then look at the BeQuiet Silent Loop 280mm which is currently down in price at £124.99.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom